The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Carbonating and serving from a keg to a glass

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
jvend
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Carbonating and serving from a keg to a glass

I placed my beer in the keg fill it to 30 psi and disconnected the co2 regulator, moved it for two minutes to force carbonate, thenbplace it on the fridge and let it overnight. At morning connected regulator, carbonated at 30 psi and move again with regulator connected at 30 psi for 3 minutes. When I served at 10 psi I notice too much foam but whe you taste the beer, it doesnt have too much co2 in solution. What happened? How do I fix it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
thughes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 14

You tried to force it, that's what happened! (IMNSHO....flame on you haters)

Dial your regulator down to @ 12 psi and leave it for 10-14 days while you drink something else.

nurture my pig

Old 06-20-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 594

The foam might be something other than your carb method. People have trouble with foam even with a perfect carbed beer. One method you can use is to set regulator @30 for 24 hours, don't shake and don't disconnect the regulator. Then shut off the valve to keg, depressurize the keg, turn your regulator to serving pressure and open the valve. The more time you let it set it should carb just fine. Say 4 or 5 day's.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
mendesm
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaefebs View Post
The foam might be something other than your carb method. People have trouble with foam even with a perfect carbed beer. One method you can use is to set regulator @30 for 24 hours, don't shake and don't disconnect the regulator. Then shut off the valve to keg, depressurize the keg, turn your regulator to serving pressure and open the valve. The more time you let it set it should carb just fine. Say 4 or 5 day's.
I did this in my first kegged batch and I was not happy with the amount of carbonation in the mouth feel, much like the op described.

I did notice that over the period of 2 weeks that it took me to consume the keg, that the carbonation became better and better.

My conclusion, force carbing will do the trick, but it's not for me

Old 06-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendesm View Post
I did this in my first kegged batch and I was not happy with the amount of carbonation in the mouth feel, much like the op described.

I did notice that over the period of 2 weeks that it took me to consume the keg, that the carbonation became better and better.

My conclusion, force carbing will do the trick, but it's not for me
The way I read the OP is that he hit it with 30 for a couple minutes and then left it disconnected overnight. No CO2. Then hit it again for a short time. I'm thinking less than 10 minutes total @ 30. I won't argue the set and forget is my favorite method but I was trying to point out that if you want to force it it takes longer than 10 minutes. and he might have two issues, the foam might be a separate issue.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
mendesm
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaefebs View Post
The way I read the OP is that he hit it with 30 for a couple minutes and then left it disconnected overnight. No CO2. Then hit it again for a short time. I'm thinking less than 10 minutes total @ 30. I won't argue the set and forget is my favorite method but I was trying to point out that if you want to force it it takes longer than 10 minutes. and he might have two issues, the foam might be a separate issue.
Yup, I got that too. The way I did it though, was exactly the way you described.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:30 AM   #7
jvend
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok, I think im a little confused, I thought that when you connect keg to regulator at for example 30 psi, it means that hes only maintaining a 30 psi pressure, hes not inyecting unless by some reason co2 escapes. Thats why I thought that I could let it overnight at 30 psi without regulator connected. Am I wrong? Also, what should I do about the lack of CO2 on mouth feel but at the same time excessive foam?

I forgot to tell, to be able to get oxygen out when I keg, I purge inyecting through the outlet and opening the inlet for oxygen to get out. Could that be reaponsible for the excessive.foaming?

Old 06-21-2012, 01:39 AM   #8
Grimm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Please refer to this. Thanks to Bobby M.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvend View Post
Ok, I think im a little confused, I thought that when you connect keg to regulator at for example 30 psi, it means that hes only maintaining a 30 psi pressure, hes not inyecting unless by some reason co2 escapes. Thats why I thought that I could let it overnight at 30 psi without regulator connected. Am I wrong? Also, what should I do about the lack of CO2 on mouth feel but at the same time excessive foam?

I forgot to tell, to be able to get oxygen out when I keg, I purge inyecting through the outlet and opening the inlet for oxygen to get out. Could that be reaponsible for the excessive.foaming?
If you have no leaks and you pressurize your keg to 30psi, the beer absorbs that small amount of CO2 rapidly as the keg equalizes between the higher pressure in the "head space" and beer. You need to maintain the 30psi for 24 hours, During that time the beer will continually be absorbing CO2.

The excess foam issue is another topic. That would be easier to troubleshoot once you have the carbonation issue settled.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #10
SkunkyBrewster
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Side question: What if you are using a regulator that is marked for CO2 but measures output by cfh (cubic feet per hour). Does this work the same way as a psi regulator and there is a just a conversion? or does this mean co2 will constantly release at a set rate for as long as the regulator is open?

"I'm a glass half-empty kinda guy. When it's half full, that means you're filling it, like a bartender. When it's half-empty, that means you're drinking it. I'd much rather be drinking the beer than pouring it."

Quick Reply