Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Carbonating Nitro-Beers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
Tanagra
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Carbonating Nitro-Beers

I brewed an AG stout recipe and transfered the beer into my cornelius keg. I hooked up my CO2 tank and purged the head space. I am now trying to determine how to force carbonate this beer before I am ready to push it with my Nitrogen/CO2 tank.

Questions:

1. I was told that I should pressurize to only 1.2-1.5vols of CO2, but if I am serving with 32lbs of Nitrogen/CO2 (75%/25%), wouldn't I want to charge with 8lbs of CO2 since that would be equal to the partial pressure of CO2 before hooking up the mixed blend? - 8lbs@38°F is 2.2vols - what am I missing here? Thirty-two pounds has always worked perfectly in the past to push commercial stouts with a glorious cascade effect and perfect head - wouldn't I then pressurize to 8lbs of CO2 (2.2vols) for several weeks until fully carbed?

2. My CO2 tank is OUTSIDE the cooler (70°F), and the beer is INSIDE (38°F). If I want to charge my beer with CO2 at a pressure of 8PSI, do I have to adjust the pressure taking into account the temperature change? Do I set the pressure for the 70° temperature or the 38° temperature?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

The 1.2-1.5 vols is probably based on 55F, not 38F.

The pressure from the regulator does not depend on temperature.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-19-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
Tanagra
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
The 1.2-1.5 vols is probably based on 55F, not 38F.

The pressure from the regulator does not depend on temperature.
Where I get conflicting information is where people say to only lightly carb a nitro-beer to 1.2-1.5vols of CO2 (at ANY temperature), and yet when I ultimately hook up the mixed blend of gas I am sustaining a CO2 pressure of 8lbs (2.2vols) of CO2 (32psi with a mixed blend will be 24lbs of Nitrogen and 8lbs of CO2). My question is should I go with my gut and charge with 8lbs of CO2@38°F (2.2vols) until it is balanced, or will I end up over-carbing the beer for some reason - and if so, what IS the reason?

As far as the temperature question - if I have set my regulator to 8lbs of pressure at the tank (70°F) going into the cooler (38°F), is there a difference in the outcome of CO2 volume I will acheive in my beer if the CO2 tank was instead inside the cooler and also at 38°F? There is a 32° difference in temperature from the regulator at 8PSI outside the tank to the actual beer at 38°F inside the tank.

I know that force carbing a beer to a certain volume when both units (the keg and the tank) are at 70° calls for one pressure setting, and force carbing a beer to the same aformentioned volume when both units are at 38° calls for a far less pressure... If the tank is at 70° and the beer it is charging is at 38° - which pressure on the chart do I carb with - the 38° or the 70°? Or is there an equation for something in the middle?

Last edited by Tanagra; 04-19-2010 at 07:29 PM.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #4
cyberbackpacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I do not know what to suggest on the carbonating for the stout as far as co2 vs beergas, but for the setting of pressures, you set it based on the beer temp.

The temp of the tank does not matter. I have used mine with tank in the kegerator, and out, and I always set it based on beer temp.

-Kevin
cyberbackpacker

Trinke Das Bier Das Du Gebraut Hast

Old 04-19-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
Tanagra
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbackpacker View Post
I do not know what to suggest on the carbonating for the stout as far as co2 vs beergas, but for the setting of pressures, you set it based on the beer temp.

The temp of the tank does not matter. I have used mine with tank in the kegerator, and out, and I always set it based on beer temp.
Thank you both for your timely replies. I will be sure to let you know how it goes!

Quick Reply