Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Carbonating at Higher Temperatures

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2012, 02:37 AM   #1
Cervesarius
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Carbonating at Higher Temperatures

There only advice I could find on this dealt with a 1bbl system in a brite tank, which is a few years and several thousand dollars from my current point. I have an upright refrigerator that I've placed a regulating thermostat on to create a fermentation chamber.

Currently I have a Falconer's IPA fermenting at 67-68 in there in addition to "Black Voodoo Cherry Vanilla Stout 1.0" in a corny keg. The keg is sitting at about 63-64 due to no bio-thermal yeast activity and the CO2 is at 18 PSI to reach roughly between 1.5-2.0 volumes. My question is does anyone know how long it will take the CO2 to diffuse into the 63 degree, 5 gallon stout to get to 1.5-2.0? I understand the gas diffuses faster at lower temps, but does anyone have a guess at the rate for higher temps? Halloween parties are this weekend and Black Voodoo would definitely kick it up a notch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 02:49 AM   #2
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1139 Times on 924 Posts

Strictly intuition speaking, but I would think the rate of diffusion is equalized by the higher pressure vs higher temperature scheme. So your 64°F beer carbing under 18 PSI should carb up to 1.98 volumes at the same rate as my 34°F beer carbing at 4 psi.

Of course, my keg will be ready to drink after two weeks, while yours will need to get chilled down for a couple of days

Cheers!

Old 10-23-2012, 03:07 AM   #3
tknice
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I think you'll be fine for this weekend. I normally carb my cornies at 35psi at 35 degrees for two days. This is usually perfect.

If I were in your situation, I would be sure all my connections are tight and set it to 35 PSI and warm carb them over the next few days. (higher PSI will stress the lines and you don't want an empty tank and low carbed beer)

Be sure to taste a sample twice a day to be sure you don't over carb.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
Aunt_Ester
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 39

http://www.kegerators.com/articles/carbonation-table-pressure-chart.php

Thought this link might be helpful. This is the table I use.

As for time, I usually carb at 55 degrees with 10psi for gravities of 1.035 and reach 2 volumes in 5-6 days. You could always set your keg to serving pressure and shake it if it's not ready by party time.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
So your 64°F beer carbing under 18 PSI should carb up to 1.98 volumes at the same rate as my 34°F beer carbing at 4 psi.
mostly this. there are small differences in speed depending on temperature, but they are small enough to be overlooked. the main thing that effects carbonation speed is the surface area exposed to CO2.

Quick Reply