Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Carbonating half a keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2009, 01:16 AM   #1
Schwoopty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Carbonating half a keg

My buddy and I just acquired a new AG system along with kegging systems for each of us. Since we dont live with each other we need to split our batches. We intend on brewing 10 gallon batches so we can evenly split it 5gal/5gal between our kegs. But, if we brew a big beer our AG system can only handle a 6 gallon batch. So if we split our batch to 3gal/3gal how will this effect carbonating the kegs? Will it have any effect or if we just throw the psi to 12 and let it sit for a week it will eventually equalize out and we wont have to worry?

Thanks!

On Deck - Celebration Ale Clone
Primary - Itchy Nut Brown Ale
Kegged - S&S Kolsch, Lagunitas Censored Ale Clone
Bottled - Irish Draught Ale, Chocolate Cinnamon Stout, Alaskan Amber Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2009, 01:24 AM   #2
Wade E
Beer Buster
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Should do fine but your going to use a little more gas to displace that missing volume and make sure you purge the tank good!

Old 12-31-2009, 01:26 AM   #3
Schwoopty
Recipes 

Thats kind of what I figured. As long as I purged the extra O2 then I would be set.

Thanks!

On Deck - Celebration Ale Clone
Primary - Itchy Nut Brown Ale
Kegged - S&S Kolsch, Lagunitas Censored Ale Clone
Bottled - Irish Draught Ale, Chocolate Cinnamon Stout, Alaskan Amber Clone

Old 12-31-2009, 01:55 PM   #4
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade E View Post
Should do fine but your going to use a little more gas to displace that missing volume and make sure you purge the tank good!
I dont agree with using more gas. As you drink a keg the level goes down meaning more gas. I truly believe it evens out by the time you get to the three gallon mark the same amount of gas is in the keg as if you started with just three gallons . Yes the initial fill is more but the same amount is used overall there is only so much gas that will go into a 5 gallon corny at 12 psi

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Quick Reply