Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Carbonating at 20 PSI

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #21
heferly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr1nkBeer

I'm using corny's..
Sorry, meant to post in a different thread!

For what it's worth, i have check valves and don't have a problem...when i want to drop down from 30, i end up shutting the valve on my tank, bleed the corny (should bring reg to zero), back out reg screw, turn on tank, and adjust up to serving pressure. Some regs do creep, so you might be stuck there

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #22
badmajon
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I set to 30 psi and I have drinkable beer in 3 days. I don't shake or push the gas into the dip tube or anything weird, I just keg the beer, set to 30 psi and wait three days.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:34 PM   #23
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr1nkBeer View Post
so basically... you think its the check valve at the end of the manifold? I'm guessing you seen this in my build pics?... i do have one on the regulator and one on the manifold.

I've had to mess with the regulator all day yesterday could not get it set right. I use a regulator for my airbrush and it adjusts as i need... without needing to release pressure...

Should i just by a "plug" for the valve on my manifold? Or actually i'd like to add a third port for carbonating.
Some regs are self-venting and some are not. If it's not self-venting then you have to vent it whenever you reduce the pressure. My old cheapo CO2 reg is not self-venting. A check valve will prevent a self-venting reg from venting all that line downstream of the check valve.

When adjusting a non-self-venting reg, always start low (venting if you have to) and adjust 'up' to your desired setpoint. And try to make regulator adjustments with the outlet valve closed, then open the valve once it's dailed in.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 05-10-2011, 02:22 AM   #24
Dr1nkBeer
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
When adjusting a non-self-venting reg, always start low (venting if you have to) and adjust 'up' to your desired setpoint. And try to make regulator adjustments with the outlet valve closed, then open the valve once it's dailed in.
Didnt try that.. so your saying to shut the valve to the corny all together adjust the regulator to my serving psi and then open the valve to the corny. it should stay there?

I just noticed a slight leak in my serving line... seems my clamps (metal clamps) came out of round when i tighten down. ugh!.. another problem.. one day i'll get to just plug in my lines and go.
Kegged::
Amber Ale | Pale Ale
Bottle Aging::
2011 Christmas ale (10 mon)
On Deck:
BIGIPA

MY kegerator Build https://picasaweb.google.com/antonio...eat=directlink
My All Grain Setup https://picasaweb.google.com/antonio...eat=directlink

Old 05-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #25
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr1nkBeer View Post
Didnt try that.. so your saying to shut the valve to the corny all together adjust the regulator to my serving psi and then open the valve to the corny. it should stay there?

I just noticed a slight leak in my serving line... seems my clamps (metal clamps) came out of round when i tighten down. ugh!.. another problem.. one day i'll get to just plug in my lines and go.
Yes, when adjusting the reg it's best to take everything else 'out of the equation'. It should stay there unless you're connected to a keg (with valve open) that has been over-pressurized. If a keg has stabilized (i.e. carbonation level) at a higher pressure then that keg will tend to cause the pressure to creep up (because the beer in the keg is off-gassing and the reg doesn't self-vent).

Your serving lines should be 3/16" ID. You should have to heat the ends of the tube in boiling water in order to get it to slip over the barb and once it cools you almost don't need the clamps (but use them anyway). Doing that it is almost impossible to have a leak (the only reason I'm mentioning this).
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 05-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #26
Dr1nkBeer
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
Your serving lines should be 3/16" ID. You should have to heat the ends of the tube in boiling water in order to get it to slip over the barb and once it cools you almost don't need the clamps (but use them anyway). Doing that it is almost impossible to have a leak (the only reason I'm mentioning this).
Thats what i figured... i just went out and picked some up when i test fitted them to the barbs i couldnt remove them!.. i'll put the whole thing in hot water to soften them up so i can clean/sanitize them before hooking them up to the keg.
Amber Ale | Pale Ale
On Deck:
BIGIPA

Old 06-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #27
Dr1nkBeer
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

For what its worth... this works much better when i have more than one keg hooked up.. its seems to be more consistent.

Amber Ale | Pale Ale
On Deck:
BIGIPA

Quick Reply