Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Carbing while cold crashing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
kmat123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Carbing while cold crashing?

I ferment all of my beer in corny kegs, cold crash for 3-4 days and then use a jumper to transfer to serving keg. I then carb for 36 hours at 30 PSI and then turn it down to serving pressure for 7 days. My question is can I get my 36 hour "boost" carb out of the way when cold crashing? Will this affect the clarity of the beer at all? Thanks

Empire Brewing - Bend, OR
http://empirebrewing.wordpress.com/

Fermenting: Guv'nor ESB
Kegged: Ominous Black Ale, Molotov IRA, 2011 Below Zero Barleywine, Cream Dream Stout, Amarillo IPA, Apfelwein

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
AndrewF
Recipes 

Carbing pressure is dependent on temperature. I imagine it takes about a day to get beer from high 60 degrees to mid 30s. I would think as long as you started the force carbing after the temp drops you should be ok. What pressure do you serve at and what pressure do you transfer at?

Old 01-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 71

There is no reason you cant carb while cold crashing. Thats how many commercial breweries do it. You could even take it a step further and seal your corny off towards the end of fermentation and let the yeast do it for you.

Fermenter 4: Beer

Old 01-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF View Post
Carbing pressure is dependent on temperature. I imagine it takes about a day to get beer from high 60 degrees to mid 30s. I would think as long as you started the force carbing after the temp drops you should be ok. What pressure do you serve at and what pressure do you transfer at?
Beer can be warm if you want. It really doesn't matter. Remember -- these things are pressure tested for 100+ psi. I chill and carb simultaneously all the time.

1. Rack into keg @ room temp
2. Clear headspace.
3. Set to 30psi, come back about 2 days later to find carb'd beer.

Remember, liquids DO hold onto some carbonation at room temperature -- case in point Coca Cola. If you're forcing it into solution, then you're well......FORCING it in. It won't hold as much at room temp, but it certainly won't refuse carbonation. And of course it'll sip CO2 faster as it chills.

Primary #1 (SS Brew Bucket):
Primary #2 (SS 7G Chronical):
Primary #3 (Better Bottle): Rye Saison
Secondary #1: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #2: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #3: Gewurztraminer Kit
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Citra Black IPA
ON TAP: n/a
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA | Belgian Wit | Black IPA | Rye Saison | Hefeweizen