Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Carbing up at serving pressure

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2007, 02:50 AM   #1
cnapierala
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Carbing up at serving pressure

Does anyone else prefer this method? I tried natural and force. Natural takes too long and force carbing seems to be inconsistent and gives a off flavor. I was constantly adjusting the psi to get it right which just made it worse.

With this method i hook up the keg in the fridge and let it sit for about a week and its ready to go.

Anyone want to share your prefered method and why?

Beers i have brewed or am brewing:
Hop Head Double IPA, Three Hearted Ale, Copper Ale, Rasberry Wheat, Scottish -80, California Steam, Blueberry Kolsh, Pale Ale, Irish Red Ale, American Wheat, Cerveza, Amarillo Pale, Chinook IPA, Power Packed Porter, Barvarian Hefewizen, Belgin Wit Bier, Apple Ale, Serria Pale Ale, Abby Blonde Ale, Flat Tire, Pikes IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2007, 03:05 AM   #2
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I think most people actually do it this way except for the impatient ones that force carb. I think by far the easiest method of carbonation is to balance your lines, hook up the CO2 and come back when it's ready. Fiddling with the pressure just for serving is a PITA.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:12 AM   #3
shlap
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This is what the LHBS owner told me to do and it's always worked great for me.

I crank the PSI up to 35 for 40-48 hours. When I'm ready to serve, I turn off the gas, release all of the pressure in the keg, adust the PSI to 5, and turn the gas back on. All of my beers are perfectly carbonated with a nice head.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:30 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I just stick it in the kegger, hookup at serving pressure and wait for it. It's the simplest, although if I'm doing a kit & it came with priming sugar, I'll toss in 1/2. I have a four tap kegger & a big enough backlog (8 kegs in the conditioning cabinet), I don't need to rush anything.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-04-2007, 02:38 PM   #5
krispy d
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

just to be a stickler, I have to say that this is still force carbonation. The way I understand carbonation, your only choices are natural (either bottle or keg conditioned) or force (set it and forget it, or hasty shake).

but I do know what you mean.

Personally I like the set it and forget it method as well. Plus that way I don't need a second CO2 tank for conditioning. I can set my tank at serving pressure and have one to three kegs on tap and still have room in the cooler and a free gas line of my four way manifold for conditioning.

Old Burnside Ten Penny Ale
Primary
Westbrook Porter
Secondary

Empty
Up Next
A big IPA ??

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”
-Benjamin Franklin

Old 04-04-2007, 05:03 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 934 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Just to clarify, you don't need a separate tank to force carb at higher pressures, you just need an additional secondary (if you want to serve one and force carb another). You can even get away with a simple two-output manifold or wye. Bring up your reg to serving pressure, open the valve to the keg you're serving and allow to equalize. Close the valve. Crank the reg to 30PSI, open the keg you want to carb.

You can probably pull about 3 pints on the serving keg before the pressure really starts dropping. If you're not serving during your 24 hour force carb, you're fine to leave it.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-04-2007, 05:12 PM   #7
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I tried the 'rapid' force carb method, and won't ever do it again. I was impatient, and had mixed success. Not worth it. Just hook up your CO2 and let it sit. There is no downside (if you can be patient) and basically nothing to go wrong, unlike the rapid force carb method.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:39 PM   #8
cnapierala
Recipes 

Thanks for the good posts guys and gals(?). Its good to hear everyones methods...

Beers i have brewed or am brewing:
Hop Head Double IPA, Three Hearted Ale, Copper Ale, Rasberry Wheat, Scottish -80, California Steam, Blueberry Kolsh, Pale Ale, Irish Red Ale, American Wheat, Cerveza, Amarillo Pale, Chinook IPA, Power Packed Porter, Barvarian Hefewizen, Belgin Wit Bier, Apple Ale, Serria Pale Ale, Abby Blonde Ale, Flat Tire, Pikes IPA

Old 04-04-2007, 07:23 PM   #9
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 572 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 208

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy
...Just hook up your CO2 and let it sit. There is no downside (if you can be patient)...
And there's the down side.

Maybe I'm unusually lucky. I've forced every batch I've kegged. My typical routine:

Wednesday night, rack to keg and place in kegerator to chill overnight.
Thursday morning, hook up the CO2 to 30PSI and give a good 3-4 minutes of shaking (shutting manifold valve to other kegs first). Place back in fridge and leave keg hooked up at 30PSI all day.
Thursday night, another 3-4 minute shake...set PSI back to serving and open all manifold valves.

Friday night, brats on the grill and ice cold beer off the tap. No complaints from my guests yet...

Again, maybe I'm lucky.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 04-04-2007, 08:17 PM   #10
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'll have to give that a try...what time do the brats go on?

Quick Reply