The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > carbing keg with priming sugar....question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2007, 05:30 PM   #1
Tophe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default carbing keg with priming sugar....question

So I've bought a used corny, but nothing else yet. I have a brew ready to be kegged or bottled and I want to put it in this empty keg I bought. I figured I would just naturally carb it with sugar and let it age a bit in the basement while I drink my other brews and acquire my other kegging equipment.

How much sugar should I use? The same as I would if bottling, or a little less.....What do you guys recommend?

Also, correct me if im wrong, but I can just pour my sugar solution into the keg, and rack right from secondary into the keg....skipping the bottle bucket right? Man I need more kegs...this is just so much simpler!

All tanks are empty :(

Drinking: A two year old keg of Eff'd up MawN Lower Beer I made !
TindleKrauft Brewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2007, 05:43 PM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tophe
...Man I need more kegs...this is just so much simpler!
The keggers mantra.

I use a 1/2 cup of corn sugar.

I siphon from my secondary straight to the keg.

Using a sterilized sauce pot, gather the first 1 - 2 cups of the beer. Stop the siphon hose for a moment and add the corn sugar to the sauce pot and stir it gently so it dissolves completely and pour it down the sides of the tilted keg so as not to suds it up.

Then resume siphoning. The natural swirling of the siphoned beer witll mix it adequately.

I've never had a problem with that method.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:06 PM   #3
Brewer3401

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yes, make sure the sugar and beer is mixed well.
Also, you'll have pretty clear beer after a while - just don't move the keg, as this will kick up sediment and you'll have very cloudy beer.

Fermenter: -0-
Brite tank: -0-
Kegged: Blonde ale

Old 06-05-2007, 06:49 PM   #4
Craig5_12
Recipes 

I did this when I first started keggin too and used between 1/3 and 1/2 cup each time. It all came out just fine. Welcome to the world of keggin'

Old 06-06-2007, 02:29 PM   #5
Tophe

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks guys...Hopefully I'll get this done in the next couple days if I can find a bit of free time.

All tanks are empty :(

Drinking: A two year old keg of Eff'd up MawN Lower Beer I made !
TindleKrauft Brewing

Old 06-06-2007, 06:48 PM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Priming a keg uses half the normal recommendation.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:38 PM   #7
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Do you keg-priming guys end up with a lot of additional sediment at the bottom of your kegs? Seems like that's the last place I'd want a 1/2" layer of dead yeast, with the pickup tube right there. Just a thought, from a kegging newbie.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:33 PM   #8
kvh
Recipes 

What if you wanted to keg 3/4 of your batch, and bottle a few for posterity...? Should I just bottle off the tap, or is there a middle-ground sugar level suitable for both? (This is coming from someone who last bottled a batch of lager bottle bombs.... they're hanging out in the cooler basement which seems to help)...

kvh.

Primary Fermentor -

Secondary - Mystery IPA
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Keg Conditioning -

Draft: - Apfelwein, Belgian-style Dubbel w/ Grains of Paradise
Bottles:(and still in stock): FIRST AG - (I)IPA 4.1.07, PK's Warm Spring Marzen, Summer Cerveza -BANG, PK's Winter Spice II, Espresso Stout, Indiana Pale Ale, PK's Chocolate Bitter II, Porterfield Porter, and New Year's 2006 remnants.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:32 AM   #9
PitsPale
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvh
What if you wanted to keg 3/4 of your batch, and bottle a few for posterity...? Should I just bottle off the tap, or is there a middle-ground sugar level suitable for both? (This is coming from someone who last bottled a batch of lager bottle bombs.... they're hanging out in the cooler basement which seems to help)...

kvh.
I would use carb-ing tabs for this. Munton's makes a good one I think. It's like a little pill you put in each bottle for consistency.

Andy

Old 06-07-2007, 01:32 AM   #10
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars
Do you keg-priming guys end up with a lot of additional sediment at the bottom of your kegs? Seems like that's the last place I'd want a 1/2" layer of dead yeast, with the pickup tube right there. Just a thought, from a kegging newbie.
I ended up trimming about 3/8 " off the dip tube. Primed or force carb'd, the chilling of the keg will drive some sediment to the bottom. Shorten your tube a bit. You'll sacrifice 12-15 Oz of beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvh

kvh.
I'd go ahead and keg everything and get to proper carbonation. Then using a racking cane and a #2 drilled cork, bottle directly from your keg. No mis measurements of sugar, no sediment and you can pour the entire bottle.

CLICK HERE for a simple how-to thread.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply