The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Carb in a twist top growler????

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2011, 02:25 AM   #1
sethwar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Carb in a twist top growler????

So i normally keg all of my beer however i brewed a pumpkin ale which i wanted to bottle. I started bottling today but then realized i was gonna run out of caps. I ended up with a half gallon extra so i filled a twist top growler. Normally i would just run to either of my LHBS to get more caps but of course the are closed til Tuesday. Do you think this will be fine or should i transfer after i can get some more caps? Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 02:37 AM   #2
jaycount
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's normally recommended to NOT carb in growlers. They are normally not made to withstand that much pressure and may blow up!

If you're going to chance it, stick it in a cooler or something where the shrapnel can be contained (if it comes down to it!) and handle them carefully.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

growlers are meant to transport pre-carbonated beer only. they are not meant to carbonATE a beer. the pressure requirements are quite different.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

If you want a detailed explanation about why it's russian roulette, read this.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-10-2011, 11:21 PM   #5
sethwar
Recipes 

So now I have a dilemma.... I have my growler with the cap on tight sitting inside of a cooler at about 68 degrees. It has been there for about 24 hours now 1. Is it safe to go ahead and pull the cap or is it already pressurizing and could blow up in my face? 2. Could I still bottle and cap this beer tomorrow when I get caps and do I need to re add priming sugar

Old 10-12-2011, 03:10 AM   #6
sethwar
Recipes 

Update: I got some more caps so I went ahead and popped the top on the growler and bottled and capped some regular bottles. Hopefully I didn't lose any carbonation in the transfer. The beer was already fairly foamy. We'll see how it turns out in a few weeks. I couldn't stand to waste even 6 bottles of sweet pumpkin ale

Quick Reply