Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Carb times with 6way valve, help please

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
bushwilliams
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Carb times with 6way valve, help please

Morning,

I recently updated my keg fridge to a 6 way valve and added 3 more kegs into the loop. I keep the fridge at 35 and have found that 10PSI on my old 3 way will generally have my beer ready to serve in 10 days. I kegged my first new beer on the six way 12 days ago and its still hardly carbonated at all. Anyone have some suggestions for me? When distributing twice as much gas do I need more PSI? Your input is always appreciated!

mykegsetup-1.jpg  

I'll drink to your leg...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
Hobnob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

10 psi is 10psi unless there is a leak somewhere.

When you added your kegs, is that when you put your CO2 tank on its side? I wouldn't put my cylinder on its side because the liquid CO2 "could" damage the regulator. Maybe that's the problem?

Check out this HBT thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/putt...ts-side-94281/

Old 09-19-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
bushwilliams
Recipes 

Yep, thats when I put it on its side... I thought I was being clever with my use of space, I really need to move the bottle external to the fridge anyway. Will try that soon and see how it works.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:39 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1058 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 28

You definitely fouled up the reg with liquid CO2. I don't know if it's permanent but this is definitely the source of your issue.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 09-19-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

most regulators use a flexible membrane inside (normally rubber/latex) that gets hard and brittle and can crack at liquid CO2 temperatures. also when you inject liquid CO2, which expands to gas at a rate of 1:390, you can get a very large pressure spike in the regulator, which can damage your gauges.

not really "fouling" that would need to be cleaned out, but still not good for the regulator. even if no damage is done, at the very least- you cant trust the gauge readings of a regulator on a sideways tank. that could even be the source of your problems right there.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
bushwilliams
Recipes 

I moved the bottle outside the fridge last night and stood it back upright. I am using my backup reg until a new micromatic premium arrives later this week. Thanks for all your help, now to see if this brew carbonates!

Quick Reply