Carb problems with beergun.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khugs21

Reaction score
I'm having some trouble with the carbonation of my brews when using the beergun. From my kegs the beers are carbed perfect. Bottles are a different story. Theirundercarbed a bit and I want to get to the bottom of this. I purge my bottles before filling and also add a little co2 on the top to get any excess air out. I move quickly too to make sure no co2 escapes. Anybody willing to share their tips or tricks? Thanks!

There's no way to bottle without losing some carbonation. There are some ways to minimize the loss though. The two main things that help are keeping things cold, and going slow. Putting the bottles in the freezer for a while beforehand is a good idea, and turning the pressure down to just a couple psi helps too.

I chill my bottles the day before in my kegerator along with my beer gun so they are all the same temp. I overfill until the foam comes out to insure no CO2 escapes. then I top it off with a shot of CO2. I have bottles that have been 3 months old and still as carbed as the day they were bottled. I think the key is to overfill to push the foam out. Don't be afraid to waste a little beer.

Nice tip! I usually fill until the foam reaches the top and stop filling there. Have to try that too!

I have better results when using swing top bottles compared with long necks (or ones you cap). Might be due to being able to close the bottle immediately after filling it. I also chill the sanitized bottles long enough so that they are COLD before filling them. That helps prevent foaming in the bottle as they're being filled.

yea I have had better success with the swingtop bottles. And it probably is because you can cap it almost instantly.

Latest posts

Back