Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Can't stop flow from the tap on my Corny

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
maxnew40
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Can't stop flow from the tap on my Corny

I started brewing again after about a 10 year break.

I just kegged my first new batch into a ball lock corny keg and it help pressure just fine for carbonating.

The problem I ran into was that as soon as I hooked up a tap to the output, beer started to flow (with the tap in the off position) I managed to get to stop flowing at the tap and then it started leaking beer from the output connection.
The pressure is set to about 9 lbs.

I tried a picnic tap and a nice metal "through the door" tap and I had the same problems.

Would this be an issue with the poppit on the output? If not what do I need to change or replace to fix it?

-Max

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4619 Times on 4307 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I am confused.

Is the leak at the disconnect (the part that fits over the ball lock post) or is it at the faucet (metal or picnic) itself?

If the leak is at the post/disconnect point then it's a gasket in the disconnect or on teh post itself.

If it is the from teh faucet, then you have bad gaskets in your faucets or they are not assembled properly.

The only way it could be a poppet issue is; if when you take the disconnect off of the post and it leaks or, if the disconnect is not properly locking in place due to a improperly fit poppet (that could cause a leak at the disconnect/post connection).

Old 08-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
jwbeard
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If it's coming out from the output connection after you manage to stop the tap, it sounds more like a pressure issue (since it's only coming out of the output connection when the easier escape route - the faucet - is sealed off). I had an issue several months back after I dropped my nitrogen regulator - the next time I plugged it in, and set to the pressure I *thought* was 30 psi and opened the tap, it would not shut off. I had to tear off the body connect. I later discovered that the gauge was completely off, and was actually several dozen PSI higher than it was reporting (such that the regulator in the tap faucet could not stop the flow once it was opened).

Point being, it may be your regulator. How foamy is the beer coming out, and how quickly is it flowing? Other way to test is to try bleeding a little off the keg and seeing how hard/fast CO2 comes out of the keg.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
maxnew40
Recipes 

Not too foamy and it isn't gushing from the tab, but is started flowing with the tap off. I am going to replace the ring on that output post first.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 125 Posts

Quote:
leaking beer from the output connection
I'd replace all of the o-rings on the kegs.
It is also quite likely that your party tap has a rotted seal. Not much you can do about that.
The door tap might just need tightening.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #6
maxnew40
Recipes 

Both taps are brand new from the local Homebrew store.

Quick Reply