Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Can you serve non carbonated water from a corny keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #11
MrNatural
The Original, beware of imposters.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I've been doing it for years for camping, and all last summer I was cooking for a backwoods camp of maintenance dudes where I packed the cooking water in using half dozen cornies.
Took gas in compression ball lock to 1/4" copper stub to compression>FIP and put on portable air tank fitting from Autozone. Pumped them up when filling or used on-board air from my jeep. Cobra tap didn't like the 90lbs I was putting in there, but it was fine with Perlick in tower I clamped to table.

Before I got a trailer, used same setup for shower for SWMBO using one of those lowflow heads with the toggle valve. Fill it half boiling water from stove, top with cold water until comfortable.......can squeeze two showers from each fill - as long as nobody is a hog.

I come awake........with the gift for womankind.
You're still asleep.......but the gift don't seem to mind.
~Ian Dury

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #12
ryan00101101
Recipes 

MrNatural"I've been doing it for years for camping, and all last summer I was cooking for a backwoods camp of maintenance dudes where I packed the cooking water in using half dozen cornies.Took gas in compression ball lock to 1/4" copper stub to compression>FIP and put on portable air tank fitting from Autozone. Pumped them up when filling or used on-board air from my jeep. Cobra tap didn't like the 90lbs I was putting in there, but it was fine with Perlick in tower I clamped to table.Before I got a trailer, used same setup for shower for SWMBO using one of those lowflow heads with the toggle valve. Fill it half boiling water from stove, top with cold water until comfortable.......can squeeze two showers from each fill - as long as nobody is a hog."

That sounds like a good idea. I could easily hook up my air compressor to the corny. I have all kinds of fittings also I have a small air compressor with a regulator on it. The only thing I was concerned about is how clean is the air going through that pump. Maybe it isnt a that big of a deal if I had a long hose and sanitized it also put in an inline filter maybe? I dont think gravity feeding would work because the waterline in that fridge goes from the bottom of the fridge to almost the top.

(The pressure tank that I have in the basement is set to 50 psi and it kicks in at about 42psi. That is why I was thinking I could set it to 50psi it would be the same as the water pressure in my pipes.)

Old 12-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #13
MrNatural
The Original, beware of imposters.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan00101101 View Post
That sounds like a good idea. I could easily hook up my air compressor to the corny. I have all kinds of fittings also I have a small air compressor with a regulator on it. The only thing I was concerned about is how clean is the air going through that pump. Maybe it isnt a that big of a deal if I had a long hose and sanitized it also put in an inline filter maybe? I dont think gravity feeding would work because the waterline in that fridge goes from the bottom of the fridge to almost the top.

(The pressure tank that I have in the basement is set to 50 psi and it kicks in at about 42psi. That is why I was thinking I could set it to 50psi it would be the same as the water pressure in my pipes.)
Never had any quality issues with standard air compressor making couple of gallons of coffee every morning, but I guess you could put one of those filters/separators on the output.

I don't have the science skills to explain the volume/pressure relationship, but in my experience, if you have the keg anywhere near full, you need 90lbs or it runs out of steam before all the water is dispensed. All about head space for the air. More air (volume)-less pressure needed, but you have less water. Water was harder to get than air, so I filled them pretty full.

I took this thingy from Kragen and gas connector to TruValue and got flare adapter to go between. Makes solid and rigid chingadera to pump it up. Get it here too:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/CDI...-Filler-1X361?
brass-air-tank-filler-valve-1x361_as01.jpg  

I come awake........with the gift for womankind.
You're still asleep.......but the gift don't seem to mind.
~Ian Dury

Quick Reply