Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Can it be too cold to bottle condition?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
Larso
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Can it be too cold to bottle condition?

Hi, moved some of my beers that aren't quite at their best into the garden shed. They need a bit more time to condition. Problem is that it's dropping below 0C every other night now. I assume that'll cause the yeast to drop out completely, does that mean the flavour profile will stop improving? Is it only the yeast that causes 'conditioning/ageing' improvements in flavour or is there other stuff happening that'll continue to improve the beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Yes, it can be too cold to bottle condition. The optimal temp is above 70 degrees.Find the warmest place anr or rig a heater.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 122

To be clear, when you say "bottle conditioning" do you mean natural carbonation in the bottle? Or do you mean aging the beer in the bottle?

If the beer's already carbonated and you just want to age it, temperature is much less important. But I wouldn't put them anywhere with huge temperature swings, or where they might freeze. To be honest a garden shed sounds like a horrible place to cellar beer. Do you have a basement? If not, a dark closet or cabinet works well. Try to keep the temperature consistent and cool (50-60 deg) if you can.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #4
Larso
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thanks guys, yes referring to ageing the beer after carbonation is complete. Question answered!

Quick Reply