Can someone tell me why i cant connect my kegs? Photos inside

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. Still am struggling to get the gas in. I will pick up some keg lube today to see if that makes a difference.

Make sure your gas is off when you try to connect the gas side, it might make it harder to snap on.....

I recently got a keg just like that. I did the same thing! I put the gas in the wrong place.
It was very hard to put on the "correct" post, but once I got it on and off a couple times it seemed to get easier.
At one point I had to use a screw driver to pry it off the post.
Good luck!

I recently got a keg just like that...It was very hard to put on the "correct" post, but once I got it on and off a couple times it seemed to get easier.
At one point I had to use a screw driver to pry it off the post.
Good luck!

I initially had the same problems. I watched a couple youtube videos where guys were just snapping those connectors on and off with no problem, and always with that reassuring little click when they go on. I started using keg lube on the orings and spraying my QDs and keg posts with some sanitizing solution before connecting to the keg, all problems went away. Not sure if that is the answer but it worked for me.

HopHead10, you have the posts reversed, as others have mentioned. Disassemble the posts. Pair up the short gas-in dip tube with the post that has the notches at the base. If one side of the rubber part of the keg is stamped "IN", put that post and dip tube there. Pair up the long dip tube with the post that doesn't have the notches, and put it in the other hole. Tighten everything up and lube the o-rings. You should then be able to attach your QDs.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/ball-lock-corny-keg-gas-vs-beer-post-137058/ (very good explanation, with nice clear pictures)

Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Techniques - Cleaning the Big Bottle

How to cornelus Keg

Corny Keg Thread Sizes

Update:

Tried spraying the gray ads and got them on! Can feel the gas going in the keg!

How long until the liquid comes out? I have the hand
Em pulled and the gas at 30 psi. Hoping I have the liquid out QD on right....

Doesn't sound like he has given up yet. One of the most confusing things to do is connecting keg QDs. Once you figure it out it's simple. But until you do, can be a PITA

Doesn't sound like he has given up yet. One of the most confusing things to do is connecting keg QDs. Once you figure it out it's simple. But until you do, can be a PITA

Yeah, I said as much early in the thread. But, honestly, it's not that confusing that a week has passed with no joy.

So now he's got the gas QD on, but it sure sounds like he hasn't managed to get the beer QD properly connected.

Kinda heartbreaking - "so close but still so far away" and all that ;)

Cheers!

Yeah, I said as much early in the thread. But, honestly, it's not that confusing that a week has passed with no joy.

So now he's got the gas QD on, but it sure sounds like he hasn't managed to get the beer QD properly connected.

Cheers!

I always give people credit for having common sense. Really wish the OP was close by so I could lend a hand. He'll get it eventually - I think. Lot of good advice posted on this thread. I hope for beer sake he figures it out soon. ;)

:D

Cheers!

LOL I was doing this at 15 years old working at a swapmeet in CA. Through life I have learned to never ASSume what you think is easy is. But I wish people would reacherch more and have a basic understanding of what the are getting into before they proceed.

Update:

Success! There was a small leak from the top of the corny but finally got it working!

Transferred my iPa tote keg and am going to let it cool for 24 hrs then force carb at 30 while rolling the keg on ground with my foot. Burp keg and drop psi to 10 for a day or two ... We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for everything everyone! Good people!

image-2988468801.jpg

If u look closely ucan see the marks/ bruises on my hand from trying to connect the QD's. What a ***** to get on!

Btw, what the heck does QD stand for? " quick disconnect"? Lol

Update:

Success! There was a small leak from the top of the corny but finally got it working!

Transferred my iPa tote keg and am going to let it cool for 24 hrs then force carb at 30 while rolling the keg on ground with my foot. Burp keg and drop psi to 10 for a day or two ... We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for everything everyone! Good people!

Glad to hear it! :mug:

FWIW I am of the opinion that if you're going to burst carb rather than set and forget, you really should either set the pressure high for a couple days and then turn it down, or set it to serving pressure and shake/roll it around. After reading enough "help, my beer is all foam" threads, it's obvious that shaking/rolling with the pressure cranked often results in overcarbed beer.

Update:

Got the qd on, injected at 30 psi checked back 20 mins later and the tank was empty!

Just went and got it filled, checked all the connections replaced the keg o-rings and injected again without the beer line plugged in. Beer was shooting out the back of the regulator!!!!

This is seeming like the impossible task. What the hell is going on?!

Also, sometimes when I screw the regulator to adjust the psi it doesn't indicate on the gauge a change unless I barely press on the gauge with my hand... Weird

If there are leaks it may make sense that your tank got emptied. I don't keg so somebody else will be more helpful at trouble shooting that issue.

Your regulator might be toast if beer was backfed through it. I killed one this way too.

If your keg was pressurized when the Co2 tank ran empty, you would have a brief time when the keg had more pressurized than the tank. Gas would then try to flow in reverse. If beer somehow found a path into the gas inlet (now temporarily an outlet) it would spray out the regulator.

I found that repair kits are difficult to install and costly. I made the choice just to buy a new regulator.

I guess I didn't mention that it is good practice to bleed pressurized from the 30psi keg before dialing the pressurized back down to serving psi. That will reduce backfeed situations.

So what happened was I ran out of gas, left the keg as is for about a week... I opened the keg today (a week later) to replace the o-ring (thinking that is what caused the leak) before pressurizing to 30. I thought that being able to open the keg, there was enough pressure relieved of the existing pressure in there from previous attempts.

I can buy a new regulator tomorrow, probably need a dual gauge anyway and this one is acting funny. What can I do to prevent this from happening again? Is the beer ruined? Anything I should do in the mean time?

Check valves are less than ten bucks. They are designed to prevent this. They are installed between the regulator and hose.

Thanks, I will get a check valve with the regulator. Any word on the beer? LOL this IPA was looking good I hope it's not bad!

okay thanks, I opened the keg for about a minute today in order to replace the opening o-ring. Hopefully that didn't screw it up...

I thought this was going to be easy!

HopHead10, you have the posts reversed, as others have mentioned. Disassemble the posts. Pair up the short gas-in dip tube with the post that has the notches at the base. If one side of the rubber part of the keg is stamped "IN", put that post and dip tube there. Pair up the long dip tube with the post that doesn't have the notches, and put it in the other hole. Tighten everything up and lube the o-rings. You should then be able to attach your QDs.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/ball-lock-corny-keg-gas-vs-beer-post-137058/ (very good explanation, with nice clear pictures)

Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Techniques - Cleaning the Big Bottle

How to cornelus Keg

Corny Keg Thread Sizes

Hophead10, did you ever do this. It sounds like you are putting the QD on the wrong posts. Can you take another photo?

I just went and looked at it again... I don't have very good light in there but put a flashlight on it and definitely had the CO2 QD on the beer out line (without the small "notches"). Feel like an idiot...

Realized I just ruined my regulator being a noob. Oh well, gotta think positively - what are the advantages of a dual gauge regulator?

Without exageration, I think I got my whole setup working in about 30 seconds. In other words, it really shouldn't be this hard.

Hophead, the dual regulator has 2 gauges: 1 always shows the pressure on the low side, that is what's on your beer. The other gauge always shows the pressure in your CO2 tank.

I think at a minimum you should have a dual gauge reg and a check valve on every output (some, like mine, have more than one gas outputs from the regulator).

Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents on the QD problem. I recently bought a ball lock keg that I couldn't get the beer side QD on. When I forced it on it actually started leaking beer out the top of the QD. What I found was that the popit valve in the beer side post had been replaced with a universal style that had a spring that was too long for the application. Because of this the spring couldn't compress to allow the plastic post inside the QD to press in far enough for the QD to engage. I pulled the QD off the beer side and pushed in on the popit valve but couldn't even budge it with my finger. I tried another one of my kegs and it pushed in easily. Being impatient and not wanting to wait to contact the place I bought the keg from, I just cut the popit spring down until I could easily push it in with my finger. I was then easily able to connect the beer side QD and beer flowed normally.

In short, if your QD doesn't go on it's possibly the popit valve spring. Get a shorter spring or cut it.

Good luck.

passedpawn said:
[...]Hophead, the dual regulator has 2 gauges: 1 always shows the pressure on the low side, that is what's on your beer. The other gauge always shows the pressure in your CO2 tank. [...]

I'm sure that was just a slip o' the fingers ;) but just so the OP isn't even more kerfuffled than he already is: a dual regulator actually has three gauges, one for the tank and two for the regulators...

Cheers!

Your regulator isn't ruined, but will need a cleaning to get the beer out. Don't wait much longer, or it will gum up and/or rust badly. There isn't a whole lot going on inside. Depending on the reg, four screws, or turning the whole body, will take it apart and allow cleaning. The gauge may be easier to replace than clean.

Now that I think about it, I am a bit torn whether I should suggest taking the reg apart for cleaning considering what has happened so far. As long as you remove the reg from the gas bottle, you don't have much to lose, except maybe a bottle of CO2 if you forget to turn the gas off first.

Now I see why all consumer IT tech support starts with "find the cord, is it plugged into the outlet?".

Now that I think about it, I am a bit torn whether I should suggest taking the reg apart for cleaning considering what has happened so far. As long as you remove the reg from the gas bottle, you don't have much to lose, except maybe a bottle of CO2 if you forget to turn the gas off first.

Now I see why all consumer IT tech support starts with "find the cord, is it plugged into the outlet?".

Oh, now that was cruel.

Oh, now that was cruel.

I don't think there is much harm done. He doesn't seem to read the posts as much as just post progress:

My QDs won't fit.
-Make sure they are on the right posts
My hand hurts from pushing. Look at it.
-Check to make sure grey is on gas in.
I finally mashed the gas one on, but can't get the beer out to work.
-Check the posts to make sure which is which.
Beer is puking out my regulator somehow.

Not far to go now. He seems to be almost to the point of asking why his pour is so foamy. And he thought getting the QDs was challenging.

Not far to go now. He seems to be almost to the point of asking why his pour is so foamy. And he thought getting the QDs was challenging.

Stop it! I can't bear the thought. You're tearing me up, man! :D

I don't think there is much harm done. He doesn't seem to read the posts as much as just post progress:

My QDs won't fit.
-Make sure they are on the right posts
My hand hurts from pushing. Look at it.
-Check to make sure grey is on gas in.
I finally mashed the gas one on, but can't get the beer out to work.
-Check the posts to make sure which is which.
Beer is puking out my regulator somehow.

Damn man, you e-punked me!

I don't really care how much of a noob I am. It's about the beer. I'm almost there and I'm determined to get this all straightened out.

Thanks everyone for all your help. I've learned a lot and will be helping a couple of friends set up their systems from what I've picked up here!

Back