Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Can/Should I Hook up a keg carbonated beer without a C02 line?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
taylja06
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Can/Should I Hook up a keg carbonated beer without a C02 line?

Basically I did all priming in the kegs, as was advised while waiting for shipment of my kegerator. Should I be hooking these up without C02 originally, or hook the c02 line and let it sit at 10-12 PSI?

Very new to kegging so apologies if this is a silly question. Just unsure whether I can get my c02 tank filled today, then realized I'd ask to make sure the combined pressures wouldn't screw anything up.

Kegged: Smoked Red with Juniper, Spiced Brown Ale (Autumn Warmer)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 424 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I would not bother, if the kegs are carbonated and under pressure, you might get a few beers before running out of pressure. Just not worth the effort. You won't hurt anything trying if you are so inclined....RDWHAHB

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 10-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
Ed4
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylja06 View Post
Basically I did all priming in the kegs, as was advised while waiting for shipment of my kegerator. Should I be hooking these up without C02 originally, or hook the c02 line and let it sit at 10-12 PSI?

Very new to kegging so apologies if this is a silly question. Just unsure whether I can get my c02 tank filled today, then realized I'd ask to make sure the combined pressures wouldn't screw anything up.
I go without co2 while serving all the time. That being said it doesn't hurt anything either to have it hooked up. My kegerator only holds four kegs so the overflow kegs go into a chest freezer. I serve those with a picnic tap with no co2 hooked up. Just gotta hit them with gas once in a while. I can usually get 4-6 glasses before it needs hit again.

"I HATE beer" - My wife.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
plumber_bob
Life gets in the way of brewing way too much!!!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 253

If my keg is over carbed I don't use co2 until I have to. Other wise the co2 stays on it until/if foam issues arise, the I cut the co2 back off.

Just my

pb

“When we drink, we get drunk.
When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
So, let’s all get drunk, and go to heaven!”
— Irish Toast

“If God had wanted us to filter our beer, he wouldn’t have given us livers” — Larry Bell

Quick Reply