Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Can improper pours cause the beer to taste different?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
Spine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Can improper pours cause the beer to taste different?

Hello everyone..

I think I have an interesting story to share. I have a keg system in a fridge that is precisely temperature regulated and since the beginning I have been using 5' lines of 3/16" beer line. Almost always there would be way too much foam at my dispensing pressure (11psi) and I would have to wait a couple times per pint for the foam to dissapate and refill.

Well today I changed the lines to 10' and now the pouring is fantastic BUT the interesting thing is that my euro lager (essentially a premium american lager, but with german pils malt and about 20ibu of saaz) is now tasting fantastic! I don't understand what the change in taste could have come from as I was drinking the same beer yesterday and it had a dramatically different taste. The temperature was the same, the glass was washed the same. The only difference was 1 day more of aging and an extra 5' of beer line. To me the this has dramatically enhanced the hops flavour and aroma compared to before and has made an entirely new beer.

Is this possible or am I just dreaming something?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2008, 07:08 PM   #2
Loweface
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Oh it's possible...

As for explainiing it I'm happy with pour affects carbonation and carbonation affects taste...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chortly View Post
...homebrew contains more satisfactrons per serving, so you don't have to drink as much as you would a commercial beer to get to your satisfactron saturation.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:23 PM   #3
Spine
Recipes 

Well I never knew that this would cause me to fall in love with my beer again

The only problem is that I only have a 1/4 of a keg left and I am wishing I had another batch of this ready to go!

Old 12-27-2008, 07:25 PM   #4
Loweface
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spine View Post
The only problem is that I only have a 1/4 of a keg left and I am wishing I had another batch of this ready to go!
There's an easy lesson to be learned from this...

Brew More...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chortly View Post
...homebrew contains more satisfactrons per serving, so you don't have to drink as much as you would a commercial beer to get to your satisfactron saturation.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:15 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

No, the excessive foaming was probably driving out much of the aroma. Plus, having to let the beer sit before drinking doesn't help that style.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply