Can I transport my keg on its side?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarpedBrewer

Reaction score
I hate to start a new thread but I can't find the answer I need. Everyone says it is bad to transport a corny keg on its side but is it impossible? This is what I need. I am going to travel about four hours this evening. I have an amber ale in one keg, and a root beer in the other. Both kegs are cold and pressurized. I have an ice chest that is big enough for both but they would have to be laid over. I think i can fit them upright and keep them cold but it seems like a pain. I will have almost 36 hours between arriving at my destination and wanting to consume the kegs. Should I suck it up and take them upright or would I be ok for them to be on their sides for a few hours?

They can be on their sides. The only advantages to having them upright are in case of a leak around the post or lid, you don't have a mess, and for the sediment to settle in the bottom of the keg.

The only issue I can think of with transporting kegs laying down is stirring up sediment. If you don't mind possibly cloudy pours then go for it.

Alternatively, in the same situation I've stuck my kegs in a plastic trash bin, stood it in the back of my Durango and filled it with ice...

Cheers!

Thank you for speedy responses. In my worries of beer, I temporarily forgot I am also traveling with two SWMBOs. I've been told there is more room for clothes and hair products if I keep them upright, so that is settled.

Worry about getting them cold when you get to your destination and let them sit/settle out. That;s all I've ever done

if you are going to transport kegs, I would highly suggest that after the carbing period that you transfer it to a fresh keg and leave as much of the sediment as you can behind. Obviously transferring from beer out to beer out.

Back