Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Can I keg, carbonate, then remove from fridge for storage?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 669 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Default Can I keg, carbonate, then remove from fridge for storage?

Hey guys,

Quick question. I have 3 corny kegs and only one CO2 tank/fittings. Can I keg and carbonate my beer (in the fridge), then take the keg off the CO2, leave it at 10 psi, and move it OUTSIDE of the fridge, to make room for carbonating the next keg?

Will the beer continue to condition if it's not chilled? Do I need to worry about the pressure inside the keg rising if the keg is allowed to warm, or will it simply rise to the same level as the CO2 in solution (since the beer is warming too), thus maintaining equilibrium and keeping my beer carbonated to the correct level? How long can I leave the keg unrefrigerated like this before I need to worry about it going "bad?"

The issue is, my fridge simply isn't big enough to store all 3 kegs, with CO2 tank, and still leave room to store my ingredients and maybe cold-crashing/clarifying a carboy. I'm trying to figure out if I can create some sort of "assembly line" and have kegs of finished, carbonated beer in storage outside of the refrigerator.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 02:27 AM   #2
pstrohs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You are fine doing this. I do it all the time to age my beer. Just keep it at room temp to age.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

Keezer Build

kombat Likes This 
Old 10-11-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
dmulligan
Recipes 

Thank you Kombat, your question is almost identical to one that I have.

I was considering keg carbing 3 or 4 kegs at a time using a manifold, however if I can do one at a time like this perhaps that would be better? All of the kegs will contain the same batch of cider this year. That is likely to change.

While carbing can I disconnect the CO2 from the keg or does the CO2 have to be connected until it is done?

Old 10-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You may find occasionally that a keg has gone flat. While your beer is in no danger of oxygen exposure, you may have a tiny tiny leak that you cannot see. I recently experienced this with a keg of mine. I'm not sure whether the blowoff valve was just not very "secure", or if it actually leaked.

Primary(SS Brew Bucket):
Secondary:
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Burton IPA
ON TAP: Belgian Wit
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA

Old 10-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmulligan View Post
Thank you Kombat, your question is almost identical to one that I have.

I was considering keg carbing 3 or 4 kegs at a time using a manifold, however if I can do one at a time like this perhaps that would be better? All of the kegs will contain the same batch of cider this year. That is likely to change.

While carbing can I disconnect the CO2 from the keg or does the CO2 have to be connected until it is done?
If you use the force carb method of rolling the keg while hooked up to 25-30psi, then no, you won't have to. I typically will roll it @ 30psi for about 5-7 mins, then I unhook the gas, let it sit for a few hours, then come back and vent off the headspace gas (which is still at a high pressure). Then come back and check on it....it could be overcarb'd slightly (just keep venting off pressure), or undercarb'd (it'll need another short rolling). You do not need gas hooked up during these waiting periods.

Primary(SS Brew Bucket):
Secondary:
On-Deck:
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA

Old 10-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 416 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 307

What I do is purge and then hit the kegs with 20-30 psi. Then I store them outside the frige at room temp until I have room for them. For stouts, sometimes they sit like that for a couple months. I always bump the pressure relief valves once in a while to make sure they still have pressure and they always do. When room opens up, pop it in the frige and carb it up.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL_Brewer View Post
What I do is purge and then hit the kegs with 20-30 psi. Then I store them outside the frige at room temp until I have room for them. For stouts, sometimes they sit like that for a couple months. I always bump the pressure relief valves once in a while to make sure they still have pressure and they always do. When room opens up, pop it in the frige and carb it up.
Just an FYI, you can get a better aging on those stouts by keeping their carbonation relatively low til you're ready to drink.

Primary(SS Brew Bucket):
Secondary:
On-Deck:
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA

Old 10-11-2012, 11:00 PM   #8
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 416 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 307

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmv View Post
Just an FYI, you can get a better aging on those stouts by keeping their carbonation relatively low til you're ready to drink.
I am keeping the carbonation low. One quick shot of 20-30 psi doen not carbonate the beer. That's just to seal the keg up good. It doesn't actually carbonate until I chill it and leave the gas on for a while. At room temp (~70F), it would take a week at upwards of 30 psi to reach 2.2 volumes of CO2 which is the high end of the recommended carbonation level for stouts. I can't say exactly what it would be becasue the carbonation chart I have only goes to 65F.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #9
RockyTop11
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I am new to kegging and I have put a keg in fridge for 2 weeks, carbed at normal levels, then tapped it, its carbed well, but still needs to age/condition for a while. Should I take it out of fridge and put at room temp for better aging or no hope for conditioning now at room temp, or just leave in fridge another month? I have plenty of room in fridge, so thats not an issue.

Secondary-(1)Zombie Dust Clone #1 (2)
Bottled-(1)Whiskey Barrel Porter (2)Caramel Apple Hard Cider
Kegged-(1)Hop Head IIPA (2)MidState Brew Crew Club IPA (3) (4) (5) (6)

Old 01-13-2013, 01:15 AM   #10
Aspenextreme
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyTop11
I am new to kegging and I have put a keg in fridge for 2 weeks, carbed at normal levels, then tapped it, its carbed well, but still needs to age/condition for a while. Should I take it out of fridge and put at room temp for better aging or no hope for conditioning now at room temp, or just leave in fridge another month? I have plenty of room in fridge, so thats not an issue.
Just leave it in there and it will age and also clear up a little more

Quick Reply