New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Calling all Blichmann BeerGun owners

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2006, 06:09 AM   #11
gnef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

there will always be diffusion of gasses, purging with co2 will help getting rid of most of the o2 out, but o2 can still diffuse back in. with a CPBF, the stopper is there creating a positive pressure, whereas there is no positive pressure in the bottle with the beer gun.

i'm just playing devil's advocate here. i have a beer gun, and like using it, especially over the thought of having to work three valves just to bottle one beer. with that said, the limitations of the beer gun should also be stated clearly. yes, it is easier to use, but it does have some drawbacks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2006, 12:42 PM   #12
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thanks guys! I went ahead and ordered one from Brew City Supplies. They had the best price at $79 for the whole kit & kaboodle including free shipping.

For the occasional bottling for competitions and brew club activities, this will work great!

Old 12-27-2006, 01:45 PM   #13
gnef
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default \

good price! have fun!

Old 12-27-2006, 02:57 PM   #14
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
Thanks guys! I went ahead and ordered one from Brew City Supplies. They had the best price at $79 for the whole kit & kaboodle including free shipping.
Dang I always miss the good deals! That is a great price.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 12-27-2006, 04:33 PM   #15
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort

For the occasional bottling for competitions and brew club activities, this will work great!
SWEET deal! Glad I ran across this thread because I was JUST about to order one for about $20 more plus shipping!

First Apfelwein - now this! You're the man Ed!!!

Old 12-27-2006, 04:42 PM   #16
DrewsBrews

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
Did it then turn into a 'true' beer gun?
Nah... just made a lot of foam because the nozzle wasn't completely seating when I'd let go of the trigger. A tiny bit of pressurized beer was squirting out and instantly turning to foam. Soon as I realized the problem and turned the thing around, all was good.

Tap 1: Mac n Jack amber clone
Tap 2: Zippo
Tap 3: Nada
Bottles: Dust

Old 05-15-2007, 02:55 AM   #17
dcunitedfan
Recipes 

Default B double E R G U N, beergun...

I just bought a beergun and did my first run with it this evening. I had 2 beers on tap, and I filled some bottles of both kinds (in future I plan on not doing it this way, one batch at a time instead, but there's a homebrew competition coming up and I needed to catch up). By and large it worked well, since I really had no alternative to bottle my carbonated beer. Tried using a large diameter hose but did not find one that had an I.D. large enough to fit over the tap nozzle but yet an O.D. small enough to fit inside a beer bottle. Did not really want to have to split my batches, kegging most and then adding priming sugar or carbonation tabs and bottling the rest. That left some form of filler, and the beergun seemed to be the simpler solution.

So the first run went OK, but I did have a couple of small problems:

1) On the second bottle I was being careless and managed to knock the rubber tip off in the bottle, which I didn't realize until after I let go of the trigger and beer kept dispensing! "Wet cleanup, aisle four..."

2) I should have bled off the keg pressure before using the gun. I had turned the regulator down to the recommended 5psi, but the kegs were still at more like 8-9psi and so the first bottles were extra foamy.

3) The provided 5' gas hose is a bit short for my setup, so I may make a longer one. Of course I'm not going to monkey with the length of the beer hose unless I feel like recalculating the line balance.

All told it's an impressive product.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:46 PM   #18
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be using mine to bottle some carbed Apfelwein soon as well as some home brew.

I'm using 32 oz. Tecate Bottles, so bottling will be kept to a minimum. I just ordered two cases of the beer, so I need to buy some limes and get cracking. That stuff goes down very easy after working in the yard IF I have some lime with it. So for $2.30 I get a quart of beer and a nice brown 32 oz. cappable bottle.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 05-15-2007, 11:57 PM   #19
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Just a side note.
I used my beer gun to bottle my pumpkin ale in November and it is still properly carbonated.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 05-16-2007, 01:12 AM   #20
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 481 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 158

For what it's worth, I bottled a 12 pack of Sweet Porter back in February using the old racking cane through a #2 stopper method and cracked one two weekends ago. Still perfectly carb'd.

I'll save my money for some Perlicks I've been eyeing for a month or so.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply