New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Calling all Blichmann BeerGun owners

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2006, 12:33 PM   #1
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Calling all Blichmann BeerGun owners

OK, I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these. I've looked at some old threads, but I'd like to hear from some folks who have one and have used it.

My main concern is the longevity of carbonation after the bottle is capped.

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2006, 02:09 PM   #2
gnef
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

in general you will lose some carbonation. you can minimize the effect by having the keg chilled, the bottles chilled, and the beer slightly more carbonated than it needs to be. this will allow for some off gassing to occur so that it will maintain the carbonation you desire in the bottles. also, you want to cap them as quickly as you can. it works best if you have two people, one to work the beer gun, the other to cap. A bench capper works well for this, and when i plan to use my beergun more often, i will definitely invest in one.

Old 12-26-2006, 03:02 PM   #3
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How much does it lose? Would the loss be less with a regular counter-pressure filler??? I'd hate to have to over-carbonate a whole keg just to fill a few bottles...........

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 12-26-2006, 03:12 PM   #4
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 580 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I use one for the few times I bottle. It's always worked out well, and I've yet to overcarbonate or chill the bottles.

EDIT: My draft system is balanced at 10-12 psi with a Turbotap, so my beer is actually overcarbonated when I dial the pressure down and attach the Beer Gun.

Last edited by Yuri_Rage; 12-26-2006 at 03:36 PM.

Old 12-26-2006, 03:32 PM   #5
gnef
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

a counter pressure bottle filler is better. period.

i use a beer gun for the simplicity and ease of use.

i only overcarbonate by 1-2 psi, which can easily be undone in a day or two, not that difficult.

if you don't know why a CPBF is better, i'll explain: with a CPBF, you purge with co2, then place the tube down with the stopper sealing the bottle. you fill until the pressure equalizes, then you vent the excess pressure relatively slowly to fill the rest of the bottle under pressure. this keeps more co2 in solution, and also prevents any oxygen from being diffused back into the bottle. this is why there are generally three valves, and also a bit more comlicated to use, and to me, it would be a pain to use. this is why i chose to go with the beer gun - trigger to purge with co2, trigger to push beer, cap.

Old 12-26-2006, 04:23 PM   #6
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnef
this keeps more co2 in solution, and also prevents any oxygen from being diffused back into the bottle.
I don't see how any oxygen would get into the bottle when using a beer gun. CO2 is heaver than air so when you purge the bottle, all air is removed. When the bottle is filled the beer pushes CO2 out of the bottle. The directions say to do a short burst of CO2 in the head space of the bottle before it is capped. Could a CPBF do that much better?
In interest of the discussion, I just opened a bottle of my pumpkin beer that was filled with the beer gun. I know - it's only 10 in the morning but I felt like I had to do it.
I don't think it lost much if any carbonation. I'm quite satisfied with the Beer Gun.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 12-26-2006, 09:32 PM   #7
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Mine just came today so I can't wait to try it out.

Old 12-26-2006, 09:49 PM   #8
DrewsBrews

Recipes 

Used my Beer Gun a few times and haven't had any problems with the finished product. I've never used a CPBF, but can't imagine one being that much better at preserving the carbonation. Beer I've bottled with the Gun has been just about the same several weeks later as the beer drawn from the tap.

I've never overcarbed, but I do chill the bottles to the same temp as the beer by putting a bunch in the kegerator before filling. Other than that, I follow the instructions and it's worked great every time. Well, except for the time I put the little rubber stopper at the tip on backwards...

Tap 1: Mac n Jack amber clone
Tap 2: Zippo
Tap 3: Nada
Bottles: Dust

Old 12-27-2006, 12:06 AM   #9
Orpheus

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewsBrews
Well, except for the time I put the little rubber stopper at the tip on backwards...
Did it then turn into a 'true' beer gun?

Old 12-27-2006, 01:06 AM   #10
Beer Weevel
Recipes 

Default Beer Gun

I own both a counter pressure bottle filler and a beer gun. I have filled several hundred with both, and feel that the beer gun is easier to operate and I have had several bottles filled over a year the beer is bad, but the carbination remained rather constant and about the same leval that I filled it with. I my opinion would'nt bother with a counter pressure bottle filler!!!! The Beer Gun is so much easier to operate!!!!

Quick Reply