Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > C02 refills

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2007, 03:36 AM   #1
Joker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default C02 refills

Anyone ever have trouble getting their tanks filled at the welding shops? I have had trouble in the past with bottles for welding and getting the "its not one of our tanks, you need to use one of ours" type stuff. Any of this happen when taking in your new tanks you got with your kegging set up?

Do they fill your tank while you wait or what is the scenario? With my welding mix and since I had to buy/rent a bottle from them they just swap me bottles since they have them filled in the back waiting for people to come and pick them up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2007, 03:43 AM   #2
TUCK

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryA
Anyone ever have trouble getting their tanks filled at the welding shops? I have had trouble in the past with bottles for welding and getting the "its not one of our tanks, you need to use one of ours" type stuff. Any of this happen when taking in your new tanks you got with your kegging set up?

Do they fill your tank while you wait or what is the scenario? With my welding mix and since I had to buy/rent a bottle from them they just swap me bottles since they have them filled in the back waiting for people to come and pick them up.

Sounds like thats what they encourage ( rent their tanks, greedy bastards)

MY tank was old and handed down to me from a friend and AirGas ( commercial company) swapped it with no questions.

However when I asked them to swap/fill my 50lb tanks they wouldn't because they said those are not sold to individuals ( I obtained it from my restaurant I work at). He even asked if it was stolen.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:50 AM   #3
Joker

Recipes 

Thanks for the info., my wife is thinking of getting me a kegging set up for Christmas so I am trying to do as much research as I can so she knows what to get without having to learn about all this stuff. I would hate to have her buy me a shiny new bottle just to have the welding shop keep it and give me some old crusty bottle out of the back room. If that is what Im going to get I would rather just get the crusty bottle from them to begin with.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:10 AM   #4
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

have them fill it with acetlyne and use that for kegging!

Old 12-01-2007, 06:15 AM   #5
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Some homebrew suppliers can fill them. If they can't, they can CERTAINLY tell you where you can have it done locally.

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Old 12-01-2007, 07:09 AM   #6
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

also make sure you call any fire extinguisher service companies in your area. mine charges less per pound than anyone around and fills on the spot. hey tuck they also have one hell of a deal on a #50 paintball refill tank $75 otd. anything over #15 is,<$1 per the#50 is like 35-40

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 12-01-2007, 03:30 PM   #7
MollyHatchet
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I ran into that myself, I got two new kegerators for under the bar, and took the new shiny bottles to KINT who supply Co2, oxygen & welding gases. They have an exchange policy where you throw your bottles into the mix and you get two used bottles, but they have been gone over, filled and a new compression gasket all bottles after so many years must be taken out of service. With this program, your bottles never expire, and if you want out they give you a deposit back on the bottle. Sometimes the valves go bad, or things get stripped etc. I thought it was a decent program, and how long are you going to stand there and look at shiny bottles while you drink home brew anyhow? Plus you never have to work about maintenance on the bottle. Also for it to be used in Pa all Co2 bottles must be painted silver, and have the appropriate label attached. And by the way just an F.Y.I I recently paid $12.75 for a 5 lb bottle.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:29 PM   #8
shafferpilot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

my suggestion is to buy your bottle from the gas supplier. Get the regulator and stuff from a homebrew supply shop. That way you aren't giving away a brand new bottle. Otherwise search out a place that actually fills bottles. I've found that many gas supply places around me don't even have filling equipment. They just exchange bottles with another company that operates outside of town. It's funny cause all their bottles have multiple layers of spray painted company names.

A great man knows that he knows NOTHING

Old 12-01-2007, 04:52 PM   #9
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

you think that's bad:

i got two 5lb cylinders from the ONLY welding shop in town. when I got both, they said I was paying a deposit on the tanks, years ago. they only swap tanks on saturday, and that's the only day I can drive clear out to their location.
plus, I could get my deposit back, so it sounded like a fine idea.

later on, i upgraded one to a 10lb tank, for the difference in the deposit. sweet.

when i tried to do the other one, I got the run around, that i needed my receipt from when I PURCHASED the tank. I told them it was leased. They looked at me like I'd just admitted to having relations with their grandmother....then told me "we don't do that".

I never had a 'new' tank from them, always one labeled with their numbering system..sometimes i get a crappy beat up steel tank, other times a shiny, newer aluminmum clyinder.

I don't know what their game is, but it sucks.

/rant

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 12-01-2007, 06:09 PM   #10
Joker

Recipes 

Sounds like I have some calls to make to find out which is my best route to go. Thanks everyone for all the info.

Quick Reply