The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Building my first keezer, need parts.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #21
mringo17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack View Post
Don't forget the little nylon flare washers that go in the MFL fittings! You don't need them if the MFL is plastic tipped (corney QDs) but you do if it's all stainless (Sanke coupler tailpiece)

edit: 843414 at ritebrew, it's $0.39. I'd grab like 10 of them, they tend to disappear.
Good looking out, added those! Going to be pulling the trigger on my purchase this weekend!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #22
mringo17
Recipes 

Alright, I have updated my list. All that is missing is a CO2 tank and I will order from another site. This site seems to be one of the most competitive for pricing as well.

8-15-2012-11-33-53-am.jpg  

Old 08-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #23
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Manifold? You're really gonna want to have one.

Hell, with a 2 tap setup, you NEED one, and if you plan on keeping 2 kegs on tap and prepping others, you're gonna want a manifold with (# taps + 1), which allows you flexibility, and gives you a dedicated force-carbing hose. I keep mine on the manifold and just wrap it around the CO2 tank, then use it when a new brew is ready to carb. No needing to disconnect existing kegs, etc.

Also, if you're ordering all this separately, I recommend checking to make sure that you're not able to get a better deal on the faucets by ordering a complete faucet combo. I know when I got mine the other week, I got a Perlick 525 SS faucet, a chrome shank, and all fittings, barbs, etc, for that faucet for like $45/faucet. Looks like yours is close, but I'd check anyways.

Primary(SS Brew Bucket):
Secondary:
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Burton IPA
ON TAP: Belgian Wit
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA

Old 08-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #24
mringo17
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmv View Post
Manifold? You're really gonna want to have one.

Hell, with a 2 tap setup, you NEED one, and if you plan on keeping 2 kegs on tap and prepping others, you're gonna want a manifold with (# taps + 1), which allows you flexibility, and gives you a dedicated force-carbing hose. I keep mine on the manifold and just wrap it around the CO2 tank, then use it when a new brew is ready to carb. No needing to disconnect existing kegs, etc.

Also, if you're ordering all this separately, I recommend checking to make sure that you're not able to get a better deal on the faucets by ordering a complete faucet combo. I know when I got mine the other week, I got a Perlick 525 SS faucet, a chrome shank, and all fittings, barbs, etc, for that faucet for like $45/faucet. Looks like yours is close, but I'd check anyways.
Where did you get the kit for the faucets? I will take my time and search around for the best prices or do multiple orders.

Yeah I need to get a manifold as well, forgot that. This site was sold out or not in stock. Any suggestions then for a 3 setup manifold?

Old 08-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #25
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I got all my stuff from beveragefactory (faucet combos, most parts, etc), micromatic (beer line and hoses.....theyre way cheaper than other places), and bvrgelements.com (10lb tank).

The other sites are probably just as good, but shop around. I got this combo for the faucet. Basically, it comes with everything except the beer line to run to the tap. The combo comes with tap, shank, any hardware, the barb, and the tap handle.

As for the manifold, there's not much too them, so you can find brass 3-way manifolds for less than $40. I personally went with the silver aluminum/whatever with the fancy red knobs (around $45). I think you're gonna find that most of your shopping is gonna boil down to shipping costs vs multiple orders. You'll end up wasting money paying $10 more to ship a $7 cheaper product.

Primary(SS Brew Bucket):
Secondary:
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Burton IPA
ON TAP: Belgian Wit
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA

Old 08-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #26
mringo17
Recipes 

IF I switch to this Perlick combo, what does it save me from buying on my list?

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draft...___17455.shtml

Also, I am not crazy with electronics. What do I use to control the temp?

Old 08-17-2012, 01:28 AM   #27
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 277 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mringo17 View Post
Also, I am not crazy with electronics. What do I use to control the temp?
Try this first:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/guid...ontrol-249612/

If that doesn't work, buy a Johnson or Ranco temperature controller. If you're no good with electronics, you might want to buy one that comes pre-wired.

Also, start looking into a PC fan to circulate air inside the keezer. It helps to keep your lines and your taps at the same temp as the beer, which helps avoid foamy pours.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #28
mringo17
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwarbiany View Post
Try this first:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/guid...ontrol-249612/

If that doesn't work, buy a Johnson or Ranco temperature controller. If you're no good with electronics, you might want to buy one that comes pre-wired.

Also, start looking into a PC fan to circulate air inside the keezer. It helps to keep your lines and your taps at the same temp as the beer, which helps avoid foamy pours.
Wow, what an awesome thread. Alright, parts are on order. Going to finish the collar this week and then the building continues. Going to play with this temp in the meantime!

Old 08-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #29
mringo17
Recipes 

Alright. I have done some editing. I am going without the Sankey right now, because a few local craft breweries will fill corney's. Check this list out, do I have everything for the 2 ball lock corny's? Except the manifold for the co2.

8-22-2012-9-29-29-am.jpg  

Old 08-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #30
Charlieatthedisco
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mringo17
I am building my first keezer. Just bought my 7.0 cu foot Kenmore freezer today and starting to build the collar. I am trying to see what conversion kits are needed for the build. My problem is I cannot find one that will setup for two taps, one for a corny and one for a standard sanke. Where can I find out what I need so I have a complete list of all the parts?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to sharing my keezer build on here!
Going to build a keezer myself, how much did you pay for the kenmore and how many kegs will fit with and without collar?
Thanks!

Quick Reply