Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > BUBBLES BUBBLES.....and moreBUBBLES

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
gmoetech911
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default BUBBLES BUBBLES.....and moreBUBBLES

OK I DONT KNOW WHERE ELSE TO TURN SO HERE WE GO...

TO DESWAY MY FRIENDS WHO ONLY DRINK BUD-LIGHT, I GOT A KEG OF YUENGLING FOR THE KEGERATOR..

WHEN KEG IS TAPPED I WILL GET TONS OF TINY BUBBLES RUNNING UP FROM THE COUPLER IN THE BEER LINE...THIS MAKES FOR A FOAMY BEER EVERY TIME..I HAVE SLOWED THEM A BIT BY ADJUSTING PSI BUT STILL BUBBLES FORMING AND CREATING GAPS OF AIR IN LINE..I WENT AS FAR AS PURCHASING A NEW COUPLER...

I HAVE DONE:

NEW COUPLER
CLEANED LINES
DE-PRESSURED ENTIRE KEG AND RE PRESSURED STArting at 5 psi and going up in 1 psi increments to about 16....BUBBLES
any thoughts keg has been in the kegerator for about 2 days and ive wasted half of it trying to figure this out

ANY THOUGHTS ARE WELCOME

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
Brewerforlife
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 108

The bubbles are CO2 coming out of solution, because lack of adequate head pressure being applied to match the the original volumes of CO2 that was in the beer when you bought it. Since you have been playing the up & down game for some time, we have no idea what level the beer is carbed to now. I would say it was probably around 2.5 Vols. when you bought it, with that said, you should have hooked it up at 10-13 psi @38-40F. This is assuming you have proper restriction in your tap lines, which can also cause CO2 to come out of solution. Which just maybe your true problem.
Let,s say you buy a keg of Bud. It's carbed to 2.7 volumes at the factory, which equals about 14psi@40F. Now you hook it up and home @40F at only 5-7 psi because you lack enough restriction, the excess CO2 will come out of solution till it comes to equillibrium with the lower 5-7psi now being applied, causing the bubble's you see coming up the tube at the coupler!!
Hope that help's some!!

Old 11-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3230 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 19

What he said ^^^.

And I believe yuengling is carbed to 2.9 vol, which will require a pretty high serving pressure and longer than average 3/16" ID beer line. Here's a chart that will tell you the serving pressure you need for the carb level and beer temp.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 11-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
gmoetech911
Recipes 

so what exact method shoyld i try next. i had psi is upwards of 16 the beer shoots out and gives me more foam the the bubbles did. will a longer line help or what .. the only other thing as that the gasket that fits in the beer line is loose and will fall out when line is unscrewed, unlike the gas line gasket which fits very snug

Old 11-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #5
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3230 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoetech911 View Post
so what exact method shoyld i try next. i had psi is upwards of 16 the beer shoots out and gives me more foam the the bubbles did. will a longer line help or what .. the only other thing as that the gasket that fits in the beer line is loose and will fall out when line is unscrewed, unlike the gas line gasket which fits very snug
First, you should probably rule out a few other possible causes of foam. What temperature is your kegerator holding at? Do you have a fan or any tower cooling device? Are there any kinks or obstructions in the beer line? When you pour a beer, are you opening the faucet all the way immediately?

If it is a line balancing issue, then you're either going to need to degas the beer to reduce it's carbonation level, or get a longer beer line. What size and length of beer line is in the kegerator now?

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 11-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
gmoetech911
Recipes 

beer line is about 4-5 ft
i have a copper tube that the line runs through up the faucet thats it , no fans or anything
my pours are good the foam is attributed to the bubbles building in the line if you pour an immediate beer after the first and before the bubbles start to build it a good beer but any more than a minute FOAM CITY population me

Old 11-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 123

My advice....

turn off the caps lock........

Old 11-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #8
CBMbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I just experienced this exact same problem with a sixtel of loose cannon. My line is only about a foot long. I would have to depressurize before each pore and then serve at 5 psi in order to get a pour that wasn't almost completely foam. So if I serve it at 10 to 15 psi will this solve my problem on my next keg?

Old 11-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #9
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1301 Times on 1048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoetech911 View Post
The above leaves me wondering if that loose beer line gasket is somehow allowing CO2 from inside the keg/coupler to sneak into the beer out line. I don't know enough about Sanke couplers to know if that could happen or not.

The analogy on a Cornelius keg is the small O-ring under the Out dip tube flange. If that's missing or damaged, CO2 in the head space will be injected directly into the beer stream at the Out post, which causes all kinds of foamy spitting havoc...

Cheers!

Old 11-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #10
gmoetech911
Recipes 

im gonna depressure the keg and let it sit for tomorrow then repressure with my co2 and try to re equalize on monday and hopefully not haft to run 16 psi ...

end result mb a little less carbed yuengling... not as bad as over carbed flat foam beer....

i should be good with a flat keg for a day or so as long as it stays cold right

Quick Reply