New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Brewing a full barrel with friends

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2009, 09:32 PM   #1
ohad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Brewing a full barrel with friends

Hi,

I'm considering the idea of buying a used barrel so me and some guys could fill it up by brewing the same beer together.
I have lots of Qs I couldn't find answers to online. If anybody knows a good informative guide about this, I'll appreciate it (does this kind of project have a common name?)

A few questions:

1. I can only get hold of wine barrels. french oak. probably previously used for red wine. are these any good? (can't get ones used for spirits in my country).

2.How should I treat these before usage ? its wood ! how do I sanitize wood?

3. What styles would you guys recommend? I was thinking about something strong and malty that would happily age.

4. (maybe the biggest Q) Do I ferment in it or just bulk age???

found this link, but its not too informative: (although nice )
Big Barrel Brew, Part 1 at Fat Boy Deluxe

Thanks a lot!

{If you'll be helpful, I'll save you a bottle. You could pick it up the next time you're visiting Jerusalem }

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2009, 09:59 PM   #2
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

1/3. Red wine barrels are great for big stouts, barley wines, almost any really big beer. My favorite brewery does a RIS in used Pinot Noir barrels for a winter seasonal.
2. Boiling water
4. Age only.

What several clubs in the area have done is have 10-12 people brew the same beer, then pour it in the keg for aging. You need about 10% extra for topping off as the beer ages because of evaporation through the wood. We called it "The Barrel Project".

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Last edited by david_42; 04-30-2009 at 10:01 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply