Bought a Sanyo 4912

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joutlaw

Reaction score
Well I had a Best Buy coupon for 10% off so I went ahead and got the 4912 mini-fridge. I've been doing some research and found that Pin Lock cornies are slightly wider than the Ball Lock ones. And I read that I might have to remove the door shelves to use Pin Lock.
The reason I want to use Pin Locks is that we know someone that works at the Coke plant around us. We have some extra parts laying around like couplers and such.
I was wondering if anyone has the Pin Lock style keg in their Sanyo kegerator and if they had fitment issues. I would like to retain the door for sodas and bottle beer.
Any input?

I personally dont have a keg fridge but i have heard that some require you to remove the shelves. I would not be too upset w/ that though. Are you planning on making the tap external or are you just going to keep it in the fridge?

joutlaw said:
Well I had a Best Buy coupon for 10% off so I went ahead and got the 4912 mini-fridge. I've been doing some research and found that Pin Lock cornies are slightly wider than the Ball Lock ones. And I read that I might have to remove the door shelves to use Pin Lock.
The reason I want to use Pin Locks is that we know someone that works at the Coke plant around us. We have some extra parts laying around like couplers and such.
I was wondering if anyone has the Pin Lock style keg in their Sanyo kegerator and if they had fitment issues. I would like to retain the door for sodas and bottle beer.
Any input?

I had to remove the shelves from my 4912 to get my ball locks with a 5lb tank to fit. It's really tight.

I removed my door shelving, as I have two ball locks, a 5 pound CO2 bottle, a reserve 2.5 pound CO2 bottle, and my Hops Randall inside mine. It all fits though.

Well its good to know. Would anyone think there would be a reason not to get pin lock. One thing I have found is that they dont have pressure relief valves like the ball locks.

I plan on using some picnic faucets at first, then wait to get a tower. I really like this fridge. Right now I have around 50 or so bottles in it ready to go for tomorrow :cross:

I'm weary of cutting into it, but there are a lot of good resources out there on it.

And it's going to stay in my living room :p ... Somehow I got the miss' to agree with it.

I was looking at getting one of those fridges but I plan on adding two more taps on my current kegerator. The wife has to have a hefe, me a porter, then rotate a seasonal. I think now that I have convinced her to move the fridge into the office from the garage as long as I brew a new hefe for here next. While we are on the subject of kegerators, is it better to have the CO2 tank outside or inside the fridge. The only drawback I can think of outside is that you have to drill another hole. :cross:

Sanyo 4.9 Cu. Ft. Compact Refrigerator - Black/Platinum
Model: SR-4912M

at best buy - is this the same unit that will fit 2 ball kegs and a 5lb CO2?

thanks bottles are killing me

Thats the one.

Beware though, my beer "disappears" a lot faster in the keg versus bottles. :cross:

thread hijac below - sorry:

I get addicted real easy to projects and this one has me now. I scoured the web last night an read 4 million lines of text on the subject. it is a done deal gotta do it and rid myself of the slavery of the bottle.

I want a dual tower, ball lock, dual regulator, 5 lb CO2, cleaning shtuff and 2 5 gallon kegs to start and all the fixins needed to run it in a 4912 as I've never kegged before. I'm not worried about the conversion just the equipment what on a good budget say $300 for everything but the fridge. can someone give me a good quality setup or parts list? I'm planning on that research next.

great forum thanks guys!
jld

Here is what you will need in a nutshell for a two keg setup with tower.

1. Tower that will support two faucets.
2. Two faucets, preferably all SST.
3. You will need beer hose. With a small fridge I would use 1/4" dia for the CO2 lines and 3/16" for the liquid lines. Make the liquid lines about 5' long as this will help with foam.
4. Need a assortment of hose clamps to keep your system sealed from leaks.
5. You will need connectors for the kegs. Since you are going with a small fridge with limited room, I would suggest getting ball log corny kegs. So, you will need a total of 4 connectors. Two inlet connectors (black) and two outlet connectors (grey).
6. You will need a 5lb CO2 bottle and regulator. I would suggest that you spend a little extra for the two gauge regulator.
7. You will also want to purchase some spare orings for the kegs.
8. Sanitizer (iodipher) and beer line cleaner. Maybe want to purchase a brush for cleaning things.

In a nutshell, that is all you will need. You should be able to keep it under your budget easily.

Hope this helps.

Drunk Monkey said:
Is there enough room in the fridge to use it for lagering? Will it fit a plastic bucket or glass carboy?

I'm not near mine at the moment, but I'm certain it wouldn't. To make a corny fit, it has to be pushed pretty much all the way back. The problem is that the floor isn't flat. It has a "hump" over the compressor.

You could, however, lager in a corny in one.

Back