Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > "Bottling will be Easy"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2008, 09:20 PM   #11
monty73741
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

seriously I;m going to kegging. Bottling sucks. Hit up resturants like i did. its just easier to keg more cost less space used

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2008, 09:22 PM   #12
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4895 Times on 4478 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Bottling is easy but, very monotonous.

Just tell the wife you were reffering to kegs as one big bottle. It doesn't get any easier than that.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:13 PM   #13
Sk84BeeR
Recipes 

Hello! thanks again for the great responses! For those that want to know, I am going to go ahead with the 2 Liter soda bottles for the Apfelwein (I'll be serving out of a pitcher anyway). And I have been officially approved for building a Keggerator by the wifey. (Don't know how I swung that one considering the limited space in our house) So now on to saving and research! Any suggestions on cornie kits? I'm looking at buying a used mini-fridge that will hopefully fit a cornie. any experiences with this? Thanks Again!

Old 07-05-2008, 05:38 AM   #14
JustMrWill
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoney1224 View Post
When I am out of bottles, I go to the local recycling place. They will let me dig around the glass and get whatever bottles I can.
Same here...but I don't have to dig...I just ask for Sam Adams bottles and they sell them back to me for the cost of deposit ($0.05 each) + a small fee for the boxes (I think I paid around $7 for 4 cases total).

Cleaning got old fast. I cut the loop end off my bottle brush and stuck it in my cordless drill...that helped speed up the internal scrubbing.

-JMW

"I know drinking kills brain cells--but only the weak ones "

"Fill with mingled cream and amber, I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber Through the chambers of my brain. Quantist thoughts – queerest fancies, Come to life and fade away: What care I how time advances? I am drinking ale today." – Edgar Allan Poe

Old 07-05-2008, 06:04 AM   #15
kbrewer1
Recipes 

I dream about being able to keg my beer but since I can't afford the cut in the short-term, I'm stuck bottling.

I go to my LHBS and get a case of bottles for about $12. I asked my favorite restaurant a couple weeks ago to save me bottles, which has turned out really well and saves me money!

As for bottling itself, it is slightly annoying to do, yet every now and then it's a really nice relaxing exercise...but I'd still trade it in a heartbeat for kegs any day . Bottling takes me about an hour with cleanup. The thing that took me the longest to get over was using the auto-syphon with the bottling wand, which (for me at least) doesn't work together unless I apply pressure to the wand as I begin syphoning.

I'm new to HBT...and using forums like this, so hopefully I won't be as boring as time progresses.

Contemplating: Hefeweizen, chocolate strawberry porter, chocolate whiskey stout

Old 07-05-2008, 02:34 PM   #16
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I've got my bottling process so dialed in that it isn't a chore and I'm done in about an hour to an hour and a half...I put on a basic Brewing Podcast and just go to town.

A couple things really helped make it smoother.

1) Mounting the bottling wand directly to the spigot of my bottling bucket, and setting the bucket on a pot...

This puts the top of the beer bottle at eye level. No overspill.

2) I put a dip tube in the bottling bucket. I get everything but about 3-4 ounces of beer. No need to tilt the bucket or anything.

All I did was take a piece of copper tubing, bend it downward and fit it in a cork that slips tightly into the back of my bottling bucket spout.

I don't have the space to keg in my loft, so rather than whine and complain about bottling, I decided to "pimp" my process until I got it down to the smoothest, easiest and quickest thing possible....I'm still tweaking it whenever something comes to me to try. For example, putting it on the pot was the newest refinement. I figure next time if I put the bucket on my brew kettle I may even be able to sit at the table to bottle instead of on the floor.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-06-2008, 09:11 AM   #17
CrackyMcZap
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
1) Mounting the bottling wand directly to the spigot of my bottling bucket, and setting the bucket on a pot...

This puts the top of the beer bottle at eye level. No overspill.

2) I put a dip tube in the bottling bucket. I get everything but about 3-4 ounces of beer. No need to tilt the bucket or anything.
Wow. That's genius. If I ever bottle condition again, I'm definitely doing this. A little bucket to catch the drips and almost no cleanup.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:34 AM   #18
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I put my bottling bucket on my upsidedown 5 gallon brewpot and put a towel under the spigot when I bottle. I think I'll start putting a small pot under the spigot though from now on. AND I'll be making that dip tube as well.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 07-06-2008, 11:31 AM   #19
fishnfever
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk84BeeR View Post
Hello! thanks again for the great responses! For those that want to know, I am going to go ahead with the 2 Liter soda bottles for the Apfelwein (I'll be serving out of a pitcher anyway). And I have been officially approved for building a Keggerator by the wifey. (Don't know how I swung that one considering the limited space in our house) So now on to saving and research! Any suggestions on cornie kits? I'm looking at buying a used mini-fridge that will hopefully fit a cornie. any experiences with this? Thanks Again!

Congrats on the approval of the keggerator!!! I really like kegconnection.com for my kegging needs.
As far as a mini-fridge I am sure some else will chime in on that. I used a small chest freezer.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:40 PM   #20
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post
I put my bottling bucket on my upsidedown 5 gallon brewpot and put a towel under the spigot when I bottle. I think I'll start putting a small pot under the spigot though from now on. AND I'll be making that dip tube as well.
I just take the small pot that I boiled my priming solution in and put that on the floor under my spigot.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply