Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling with Wheat Malt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2006, 11:14 PM   #1
sonvolt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Default Bottling with Wheat Malt

Earlier this week, one poster mentioned that he bottle conditions with Wheat malt in order to add a bit of head retention. I gave this no thought at the time, but the more I think about it the more it sounds interesting to me.

Will this technique add enough wheat malt to affect head retention? Obviously, the little amount of wheat malt will not affect taste to any degree. But here is my main question:

I am brewing a Belgian Wit tomorrow and I will eventually use dried wheat malt extract at bottling time. Will I use the same technique as regular DME? In other words, 1.25 cups per 5 gallon batch?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2006, 11:25 PM   #2
m_f
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

better to use calculations based on the characteristics of your DME.
check this:
http://www.indata.com/collectionsoft...ction/bp0.html

you'll see that while sucrose/dextrose are prety consistent in terms of fermentability, DME may change from brand to brand.

so if you are primming with sucrose, it is easy to give a recomendation based on weight/volume. but with dme is different thing, specially if you are fine tunning the carbonation level acording to style guidelines.

so try to figure out the fermentability of your extract and use the link (calculator)

good luck!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply