Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling vs Kegging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2010, 08:53 AM   #1
rferguson61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Bottling vs Kegging

So Im brewing my first batch soon and trying to get all my ducks in a row before i get ahead of myself and I have reached the 'bottling' step. And i have heard about people kegging and im curious about the advantages/disadvantages of kegging over bottling. Bottles seem more portable. But i dont know how long kegged beer lasts after its tapped....let me know what you think! Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
dirt55
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

For Pros/Cons read the Stickies on Bottling/Kegging forum and use the search since this has been discussed thousands of times. For your first batch just bottle it. You don't want to invest the minimum $200 (on avg) to get a keg setup...especially if you don't stick with the brewing. You can bottle from a keg so portability isn't an issue. Kegs don't go "stale" like the commercial kegs at a party that are hand pumped using oxygen. Corney Kegs are sealed with CO2 and pushed out via CO2...thus it will have to difference in age vs a bottled version. Welcome to the site by the way...you'll learn a ton.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:44 PM   #3
SweetSounds
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

+1 on reading the stickies.

Bottling is cheap and easy. Start there.

I started off kegging, but I already had tap tower plans for my bar, so it made sense for me. If you have somewhere you want to put taps, and are willing to make the $$ commitment right away, I'd say go ahead and keg. But with that said, I still bottle some to take out of the house and share. So you'll wind up doing both.

Bottling:
Capper: Wing Capper $15.00
Caps: Come with the kit = Free
Bottles: Beg friends, drink a lot of Sam Adams or some other pry-off beer = Free
Total = $15.00

Kegging:
Corny kegs: Craigslist, LHBS, Online = $25.00 + each (You'll need one, but you'll want more!)
CO2 tank: 5# = $80.00
Regulator: Single pressure, dual gauge = $100.00
Connectors: Quick Disconnects = $12.00
Serving: Picnic Faucet = $13.00
Freezer: Craigslist, Online, Lowes, Home Depot, Sears, etc. = Free to $400+
Thermostat: So you don't freeze your beer! = $60.00 +
Beer/CO2 line: = $0.55/Ft give or take, depending on where you go to get it...

Total = $300 or more, plus the cost of a freezer/fridge/Or whatever you find to keep your beer cold!

Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!

Old 03-15-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2338 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

Bottling is fine, but can be a bit more work. Kegs are nice, but more expensive to get started in. Revvy's got a great thread about bottling that can be very useful. I wish I knew how to find a thread and link.

I have a keg system and still bottled a half-batch of IIPA last night, and will likely bottle a full batch of American stout very soon. I didn't keg the IIPA because it was a half-batch (actually less than half), and I'm bottling the Stout because I plan on sharing with the co-brewer and it's just easier that way.

Bottling gets easier with a few tips and a little practice. Cleaning the bottles is probably the most work. If you use empties, get a scrub device and some oxy clean. Let them soak overnight in hot oxy and scrub the bottoms with a brush. If there is a seriously hard piece of gunk, toss that bottle. It's not worth the hassle. If you buy your bottles from a LHBS, then you only need to sanitize them just before using. I recommend star san. Just dip a bottle in the star san and place upside down in the top rack of you dishwasher (if you have one) and they are ready to fill. No reason to wait until they dry. Just fill and cap.

Homer's Brew Log

Old 03-15-2010, 04:30 PM   #5
jturie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Great advice here--start with bottling (pay yer dues, dangit!) because it's much cheaper, especially if you don't stick with homebrewing.

I still have 60 240ML PET bottles from Coopers that I use for beer that I brew for the MBC drinkers. After I pop a bottle, I immediately wash it out thoroughly with hot water. Makes cleaning and sanitizing as painless as possible.

Keg 1: Rye IPA
Keg 2: Rye IPA
Keg 3: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Keg 4: Empty

On Deck: Lemon Line Hefe, Saison, SNPA Clone

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa

Old 03-19-2010, 11:33 PM   #6
rferguson61
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the tips guys! Just an update I brewed my first batch on the 17th and I'm keeping it in a wune fridge ($90 on craigslist) to keep it at a constant temp (70.1-71.4) and it's bubbling away nicely. =)

Old 03-20-2010, 11:27 AM   #7
SweetSounds
Recipes 

Congratulations!

Now comes the hard part... Leaving it alone for weeks

What did you make?

Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!

Old 03-20-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 334 Times on 275 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I've recently discvered it sucks waiting for a 10% Barleywine to carb in the bottle. I found myself drinking a nearly flat one and thinking, "I wish I could have force carbed this."

This must be how Sarah Silverman's father felt.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:38 AM   #9
rferguson61
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I made an american hefewiezen. It's a recipie I got from my LHBS. It's supposed to be a a Widmer hefe clone.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:29 AM   #10
SweetSounds
Recipes 

Good choice! They don't take as long to finish!

Quick Reply