Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling Tips for the Homebrewer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2009, 02:55 PM   #71
JLep
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Kegging is the easy way out. Anybody can keg. I've kegged, but prefer to bottle, I like the math to find my volume, experimenting with different primers and you just can't artificially replicate what yeast can do naturally.The good and bad off-flavors. Sure it takes more time, but I love going to the basement and grabbing several bottles from my stash. Nothing beats a bottle conditioned beer. NOTHING!!!!!

HEKT ALEWERKS

padrekw Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 02:58 PM   #72
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLep View Post
Kegging is the easy way out. Anybody can keg. I've kegged, but prefer to bottle, I like the math to find my volume, experimenting with different primers and you just can't artificially replicate what yeast can do naturally.The good and bad off-flavors. Sure it takes more time, but I love going to the basement and grabbing several bottles from my stash. Nothing beats a bottle conditioned beer. NOTHING!!!!!
Plus there are some cool bottles out there if you search enough

I've been collecting odd shaped ones for Belgians...Like stubbies and redstribe bottles...I have a growing collection.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 01-27-2009 at 03:38 PM.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:04 PM   #73
-TH-
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tconlan25 View Post
Brilliant! I may have to run to Lowe's at lunch and see what I can find.

Thanks for the idea!
I bought one of these at Lowes for around $.50 but haven't tried it yet. I'm hoping it will eliminate the pocket of air in the spigot I was getting that I think was caused by the small diameter dip tube I had been using.

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet
Water Spreadsheet: www.EZWaterCalculator.com
SpaceJunk Likes This 
Old 01-27-2009, 03:37 PM   #74
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TH- View Post
I bought one of these at Lowes for around $.50 but haven't tried it yet. I'm hoping it will eliminate the pocket of air in the spigot I was getting that I think was caused by the small diameter dip tube I had been using.
When you are testing it are you having your bottle wand or bottling hose attached? Like I said earlier, I've never experienced it before...and the one person who had a slow trickle out of his spigot hooked up a hose, and once he had a lower siphon level it worked fine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-27-2009, 03:52 PM   #75
heyvail
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petho View Post
My bottling method is VERY expensive and takes many years to create but it works beautifully. First, get married and have a daughter. Second, raise her to be handy in general, we like camping, fishing and bike riding. Then, after 11 years of hard work, teach her the bottling procedure and let her go!
I enjoy bottling with her and she makes a damn fine brewery assistant on brew day too!
The big plus is that she HATES the taste of beer so I don't have to share any of it with her!!!

Bonus!
I am on my way, 3 1/2 years of investment and the little guy wipes down the bottles and puts a small piece of painters masking tape for labeling on each bottle. I do have to be careful because this boy hasn't found a flavor he doesn't like, but that only happens when a glass is left unattended.

Thanks for the tips, bottle wand to bucket and dip tube will be made tonight!!!!!!

A bottle tree and bottle rinser for the top has reduced setup time. I also keep a spray bottle of sanitizer and clean and sanitize each bottle after pouring a home brew. That 30 seconds after each beer also saves some serious time on bottle day.

"You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning"

Old 01-27-2009, 03:53 PM   #76
-TH-
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
When you are testing it are you having your bottle wand or bottling hose attached? Like I said earlier, I've never experienced it before...and the one person who had a slow trickle out of his spigot hooked up a hose, and once he had a lower siphon level it worked fine.
Yes. For about 7 batches now I had connected the bottle wand to a 2 inch piece of tubing which is connected to the spigot. On the inside (of the spigot) was a drilled rubber stopper with one of these:

It worked fine for bottling, I had no problems with flow coming out of the bottle wand, the only concern I had was I always had a pocket of air inside the large diameter portion of the spigot. My spigot body is somewhat transparent so I could see it while bottling. I think it was due to the large diameter of the spigot compared to the small diameters of the input (dip tube) and output (tip of spigot). It looks quite turbulent in there when I bottled and I was concerned about oxygenation.

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet

Old 01-28-2009, 01:41 PM   #77
-TH-
Recipes 

Any thoughts on the above post, Revvy?

Old 01-28-2009, 01:58 PM   #78
TerapinChef

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
It worked fine for bottling, I had no problems with flow coming out of the bottle wand, the only concern I had was I always had a pocket of air inside the large diameter portion of the spigot. My spigot body is somewhat transparent so I could see it while bottling. I think it was due to the large diameter of the spigot compared to the small diameters of the input (dip tube) and output (tip of spigot). It looks quite turbulent in there when I bottled and I was concerned about oxygenation.
I have had similar problems. Revvy suggested making sure that your dip tube extends through the cork enough that it meets up with the back of the spigot body, if I remember correctly. I'll be testing this theory today.

See My Profile for Current Brews

My 3/4 Ton Brewstand "Build"

The Belgian Lady Brewery

Old 01-28-2009, 02:46 PM   #79
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Any thoughts on the above post, Revvy?
Sorry, I don't....I've never had that problem....it could be the angle of the bend. or not enough depth into the area like I told Terrapin Chef...or that I've never paid attention to mine and all my beers have turned out...Just remember that may not be O2 but CO2 in that pocket you are seeing... But realistically, it takes a lot of O2 to ruin your beer. It is in that little pocket is probably no more than what gets trapped in the bend of your racking cane and hose, as it does a 1/2" free fall....

Try different configurations, bends whatever...but honestly I wouldn't sweat it...I've had to pump beer with my auto siphon and not ruined it....

Oxyidation if it does happen is a long storage problem, most people will have drunk our beers long before any of that shows up...And I've been using a diptube for nearly a year (2 different versions) and have never had a beer turn out cardboardy or anything like that.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:57 PM   #80
USM_Eagle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Fantastic post. This will save lots of time.

Quick Reply