Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling Tips for the Homebrewer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2014, 11:10 PM   #781
UglyDude
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Thanks Mods, I am honored that this thread has been stickified.

Over the last year I've posted bits and pieces of this in various threads when people asked for bottling advice. I end up getting a lot of questions about my process, so since we have so many new people joining this site in a post holiday fit of brewing enthusiasm, that means really soon there are going to be a bunch of new bottlers stepping up to the plate.

First off, you may hear a lot of people recommending kegging...In fact there is a strange phenomenon on here that inevitably when someone asks a question about bottling some overzealous (and probably new) kegger will jump in with HIS answer, which is something like "Bottling sux, you should keg." Like the thought of kegging beer is so foregin to new people or established brewers that despite the fact that this section of the forum is called "Bottling and Kegging" that perhaps we who bottle are total idiots who perhaps need to be told that such a thing exists.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/carb...usen-how-9685/[/b]
Thanks, [I hope you are still here to read this... yours is a pretty old post!]
This is an awesome post! I wish I had seen it 2 years ago!
although I have joined the ranks of the kegger, (mostly because I dont always want 12oz every night, but sometimes just a taste) I have decided to bottle and keg most batches, this way I can take a 12-pack with me to watch a game with a friend, give it away as a gift etc, plus I can enjoy the draught beer at home.

I see no reason to judge or promote 1 form of storing/serving over the other, I enjoy both

I raise my glass or bottle to you! and thanks for sharing your knwledge!

Carpo's Back Yard Brew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2014, 04:34 AM   #782
kdpshsu
Recipes 

It's been a month since I bottled. My bottles are still overflowing upon opening. I'm about to pop them all open and pour them all down the drain. Somebody talk me off the ledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 02-09-2014, 05:24 AM   #783
berts
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpshsu View Post
It's been a month since I bottled. My bottles are still overflowing upon opening. I'm about to pop them all open and pour them all down the drain. Somebody talk me off the ledge.

sounds like you need to get anther brew on as soon as possible to forget about this disaster and sanitize well this time

Old 02-20-2014, 01:49 AM   #784
hairless_mac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm curious why would there be brew coming out of the top when opened. Here are some ideas of mine. But be warned they are just that ideas. The first when you bottled are you leaving about one inch head space in the bottle? Second of course the obvious are the bottles being shaken up before popping the top? I've brewed several brews and have bottled a lot and have never had a single bottle of brew pour out when I popped the top. Hopefully you didn't pour any brew to its death down the drain.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Old 02-20-2014, 02:05 AM   #785
kdpshsu
Recipes 

I used too much sugar and they're over carbonated. It tastes good however sadly some from each bottle is wasted. I used regular sugar instead of dextrose and didn't scale it down. Chalk it up to the learning process.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:17 AM   #786
hairless_mac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey that's part of the experience. I have some rook mistakes to but that's the what's it all about. I didn't know about the sugar though but now I do

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Old 03-18-2014, 11:07 AM   #787
SKYY
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Does anyone else use one or two 12-16-oz PET bottles when they're bottling 12-oz glass ambers?

I've done this since day one of my brewing career, and I think it's awesome. I always fill up the plastic bottle exactly halfway through the bottling process, and cap it with its screw-top lid. As the beer slowly carbonates, I use it to tell how well the carbonation is going. All you have to do is squeeze the plastic to tell how much CO2 pressure is in there. When it becomes almost rigid, you know that your bottles are ready to cold-condition and drink!

Old 03-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #788
MedicMang
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 179 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYY View Post
Does anyone else use one or two 12-16-oz PET bottles when they're bottling 12-oz glass ambers?

I've done this since day one of my brewing career, and I think it's awesome. I always fill up the plastic bottle exactly halfway through the bottling process, and cap it with its screw-top lid. As the beer slowly carbonates, I use it to tell how well the carbonation is going. All you have to do is squeeze the plastic to tell how much CO2 pressure is in there. When it becomes almost rigid, you know that your bottles are ready to cold-condition and drink!

I am not putting down your method but you really should just forget about them for 2-3 weeks. A beer may carb in 4 days but that doesn't mean that it is ready. I find my beer kinda "green" until about week 3. Again though, to each their own.

Sent from Cheese Doodle Land.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:50 PM   #789
TrustyOlJohnson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpshsu View Post
I used too much sugar and they're over carbonated. It tastes good however sadly some from each bottle is wasted. I used regular sugar instead of dextrose and didn't scale it down. Chalk it up to the learning process.

Store and serve it real cold into frozen mugs. It will affect the taste (lessen it) but will also reduce carb. And enjoy! No need to pour it out!!

Old 03-18-2014, 08:33 PM   #790
BrewCityBaller
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpcook1 View Post
Store and serve it real cold into frozen mugs. It will affect the taste (lessen it) but will also reduce carb. And enjoy! No need to pour it out!!
Won't chilling it down allow more CO2 to dissolve into the beer???

I thought cooler liquid dissolve gas more easily.

Quick Reply