The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling Tips for the Homebrewer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #731
tcapmidnoces
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Don't have a dip tube in yet, but this worked fine! I just had to tip the bucket a bit towards the end and drink the bit that was left over
Bottled 15.5 liters of meed in less than half an hour. Nice and easy.

Last edited by TxBrew; 09-11-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Revvy Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #732
bboyeruga
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 27

This thread really helped me start and perfect my bottling process. Last night, a friend and I bottled 10.5 gallons of beer in under 2 hours (including clean up). It is ALL about making the process work for you. We all have different set ups and some of us can't afford kegging right now. To be honest, with as simple a process as it is, I don't see myself getting into kegging anytime soon. There's just something about cracking open or sharing one of your bottle of home brew. Harder to share in a keg.

Primary 1: Summer Solstice Honey Wheat
Primary 2: Summer Solstice Honey Saison

On Deck: Tripel Hoption, Orange Blossom Mead

Bottled: Peanut Butter Cup Stout, Butterbier, Dr. Jekyll Honey Ginger Wit, Arnold Palmer's Amber Ale, Brown Rule Dubbel, NuptuAle, Plug Nickel, Hops Bursting in Ale

Old 08-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #733
bboyeruga
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbrewer View Post
Big thanks to this thread. Bottled for my second time this weekend and it went much smoother thanks to the information in this thread.

Made my own bottling bucket dip tube and it worked like a charm

long story short, Now I am making them for all my homebrewing friends. Great suggestion, as well as direct connecting the bottling wand and placing bucket over dishwasher. so streamlined.
What did you make the dip tube out of. I had nearly an entire beer left over last night, but I ran out of bottles, so I just drank it

Primary 1: Summer Solstice Honey Wheat
Primary 2: Summer Solstice Honey Saison

On Deck: Tripel Hoption, Orange Blossom Mead

Bottled: Peanut Butter Cup Stout, Butterbier, Dr. Jekyll Honey Ginger Wit, Arnold Palmer's Amber Ale, Brown Rule Dubbel, NuptuAle, Plug Nickel, Hops Bursting in Ale

Old 08-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #734
Frostbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboyeruga View Post
What did you make the dip tube out of. I had nearly an entire beer left over last night, but I ran out of bottles, so I just drank it

There is probably a more efficient way to do it, but I had a broken clear plastic PVC racking cane that I just broke off like 6-8 inches of. boiled some water and submerged the cane so that it would be pliable and bent it to roughly where I thought I would need it. then I just screwed the sharp end through a cork and used sand paper to file off the other end so that it was reasonably close to the bottom of the bucket.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #735
BridgewaterBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Another method is to screw a plastic elbow onto the spigot. They are in the plumbing section at hardware store.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #736
BridgewaterBrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgewaterBrewer
Another method is to screw a plastic elbow onto the spigot. They are in the plumbing section at hardware store.
. Sorry didn't see earlier comments about this in the thread.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #737
StLouBrew
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikefoolery View Post
Thanks for the tips Revvy. I moved the wand closer to the spigot. Much easier.

I've been using the dishwasher to sanitize my bottles the night before bottling. One full hot cycle with no detergent, and the heat cycle to dry. I can load all the bottles for a 5 gallon batch.

Brief warning: The bottles need to be cleaned prior sanitizing, and should be cool prior to bottling.

Then it's a short distance for the bottles to travel from the dishwasher to the counter prior to bottling over the dishwasher door.

Splitting up bottle sanitizing from the bottling helps with time management.
When you sanitize in your dishwasher, do you have any concerns, or have you noted any problem with anti-spot stuff? I've heard it suggested that since its a surfactant that it could reduce the head on the beer when poured.

I REALLY like the notion of being able to split the sanitizing from the bottling. Some days, that's just a lot to tackle at once. This sounds like a good option.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #738
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Just run the dishwasher without any soap or agent. Straight water on the hottest cycle you can get. You might want to run the washer first without any dishes to rinse out any remaining residue and soap.

Having said that, on bottling day I tend to just fill a big trashcan full of Starsan solution and I drown all my bottles in that. I just reach in, grab a bottle, dump out the Starsan, and fill immediately. Both ways are fine, but I "don't fear the foam" and just feel that having all surfaces wetted with sanitizer right up through filling and capping keeps me well out of trouble. Probably personal paranoia. The dishwasher method probably is more than adequate as well if you start with clean bottles and don't fart around too long before filling them.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:36 AM   #739
Hello
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1195 Times on 811 Posts
Likes Given: 1821

Has anyone got a link for the clamp Revvy posted in the OP? I've yet to find one.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:09 AM   #740
BridgewaterBrewer
Recipes 

US plastics sells them online and there are some others I can't recall right now.

Quick Reply