*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling Tips for the Homebrewer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #721
revansCAAD8
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 154

I'm not clear on the proper elbow. Shouldn't we be using CPVC? I use my bottle bucket for my mash tun running, so could have temps above 140. Stopped by an Ace store yesterday and they didn't have it in CPVC, only PVC. Clerk said they don't even carry a CPVC elbow with one end threaded, only ones that would require gluing.

Thanks for any help,
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnycreature View Post
Just bought the elbow; I'll try it tonight! Thanks again!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #722
moscoeb
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 42 Posts

The elbow is for the bottling bucket. So your temps shouldn't be any higher than room temp.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #723
revansCAAD8

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscoeb View Post
The elbow is for the bottling bucket. So your temps shouldn't be any higher than room temp.
Uh, as mentioned, we use our bottling bucket to catch our mash tun running's so the temps are around 148 or higher. May not be normal use for most but I'm sure we aren't the only ones that have/will put hot liquids in theirs.
Being hot might not be a big deal (PVC vs CPVC) anyway it's just for a few minutes but thought I would ask for clarification.

Thanks,
Robert

Old 05-20-2013, 09:12 PM   #724
el_loco
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I believe 3/8" copper tubing would work in place of a broken racking cane. The racking cane is the cheap and easy solution. Your setup is preventing you from the cheap and easy solution. You have two choices: Modify your current system or purchase another bucket dedicated to bottling. The latter is probably the less expensive of the two.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #725
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

To the newbies who happen to read this thread, your patience will be well rewarded!

I now have 2 cases of cider, 1 case of English ale (already aged 2 months in the bottle), and 4 cases of Centennial Blonde ready to drink, plus at least another case of odds & ends sixers of all of the above. I am brewing another 5 gallons of Centennial Blonde right now. I now have a pipeline established where I can drink as much as I please, share as much as I please, and I can replenish it pretty easily.

I recommend brewing a lot of simple but good recipes, repeatedly. Practice, practice, practice! I have brewed the extract Centennial Blonde recipe three times in a row now. It is a good beer, but more importantly it gave me lots of forgiving opportunities to get my brewing rig and procedure ironed out. Brew day and bottling day are now almost second nature. I am comfortable with what I have to work with and with my capabilities so now I can really start playing, exploring different recipes and brewing for the seasons.

Brew on!

Old 05-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #726
eluterio
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 69

I do not want to read 70 pages by the time i Reach 10 i will probably need medical assistance because ill be on the floor having seizures.

I’ve don’t both bottling and Kegging. I of course started with bottling but was limited to how many different style of beers I can make and with handing out samples keeping up with bottles was getting making me drink more staying up late and cleaning off labels, I had enough. I started kegging to end the nightmare and late nights.

I have a question about bottling from Kegs and get some advice.

My process:

When my beer is ready to be kegged I use 2.0 ounces of priming sugar, fill the keg, purge with co2 several times and let it sit for about 3 weeks at 70 degrees.

I want to start bottling from my keg for hand outs and competitions. I recently put together a poor mans beer gun to fill up bottles as needed.

Question 1) If I fill the lets say 12 bottles right after I kegged it would I need to add more priming sugar to the bottle since the ratio for using priming sugar to bottle/keg are different?

Question 2) If the keg is on tap and its at 44 degrees and i want to bottle some would I use priming sugar and store at room temp to make sure its carbonated? Or do I bottle and place at same temp I drew it from with no priming sugar.

Question 3) After 3 weeks of beer in keg at 70 degrees I want to bottle some would I just bottle and let sit at room temp?

Anything will help!

Old 05-31-2013, 01:23 PM   #727
duchy
Recipes 

Do you need to put bottle caps in warm water to make rubber soft or just sanitize and put on

Old 05-31-2013, 01:28 PM   #728
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2734 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Do you need to put bottle caps in warm water to make rubber soft or just sanitize and put on
You just sanitize them and put them on.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #729
raymadigan
M+ Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Awesome writeup, I wished I would have found this earlier. I have been struggling with getting the last couple of bottles worth from my bottling bucket. along with the spillage because I didn't really have a process, I was wasting way too much brew.

I went to my LHBS and found the right drilled stopper and then went to the depot to see what would fit in it. The hole was a little bigger then the person said but I found the perfect fitting. I'll see how it works next bottling event.

I guess I was lucky, the bottom of the fitting is between 1/8 and 1/4 of an inch above the bottling bucket bottom.

bottleplug.jpg  

Old 06-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #730
Frostbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Big thanks to this thread. Bottled for my second time this weekend and it went much smoother thanks to the information in this thread.

Made my own bottling bucket dip tube and it worked like a charm

long story short, Now I am making them for all my homebrewing friends. Great suggestion, as well as direct connecting the bottling wand and placing bucket over dishwasher. so streamlined.

bottlingbucketdiptube.jpg  

Quick Reply