New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling Tips for the Homebrewer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #701
Thunder_Chicken
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Just took my new bottling bucket for a test drive with my cider. Got everything except 2 oz. (which I drank during cleanup!). Fabulous idea of using that elbow as a diptube. Bottling day rocks!

Old 04-18-2013, 01:26 AM   #702
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 137

I have been trying to pick up an elbow but the place I usually shop only has 'em with labels stuck directly on with some awful horrible adhesive that doesn't come off. It leaves me with a choice to take a huge risk of infection, or poison myself with Goo-Gone residue....

Maybe it's time to try another hardware store.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #703
wildcatman17
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This site was great help from the bottlin set up to making the dip tube ...Thanks to all who posted...

Old 04-22-2013, 02:42 AM   #704
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I would like to say I have been using thevbottling bucket from page one for 3 years and it is good to the last drop.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:53 AM   #705
Probie
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Revvy, I just bottled a batch using a system very similar to yours and am amazed at how much less of a headache it was. Thanks for making bottling less of a chore, dropping that bottling attachment right off the spigot was brilliant! I sanitize bottles in the dishwasher, and set up so I could grab clean bottles and fill them from the same chair...I probably got this batch in bottles in half the time of my normal batch. Thanks again, great post!

Old 04-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #706
CooperBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

What an informative thread, I've spent a few hours reading it from the start

I stopped by Home Depot and bought the 3/4" pvc elbow that screws right onto my bucket nozzle, no modifications were required. I then put a small piece of tubing on the bottling wand and set the bucket on the counter, it worked out well.
Since I'm a few days away from doing any beer bottling my 10 year old son and I made a batch of root beer and bottled it up to test the system. Everything went well and I had maybe an ounce or two of root beer left in the pail once we were done. This was a really neat learning experience for him as well, learning about yeast, siphoning, etc. It was a science lesson that wasn't boring!
(Sorry for the dishes in the sink but since Mom wasn't home we didn't bother cleaning up before making our mess...lol)

I will put the bottling bucket up higher when I do my beer since I'm not as short and flexible as my son

Old 05-04-2013, 04:36 AM   #707
heckabrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just bottled my first brew using this thread as guide. I wanted to thank you all for the knowledge.
I didn't end up getting a dip tube set up but I will definitely do it on the next batch.
I also was thinking about cutting the bottle wand down so won't have to raise the bucket up higher than the counter. Has anyone else done this before or have a reason why I shouldn't do it?

Old 05-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #708
moscoeb
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckabrew
I just bottled my first brew using this thread as guide. I wanted to thank you all for the knowledge.
I didn't end up getting a dip tube set up but I will definitely do it on the next batch.
I also was thinking about cutting the bottle wand down so won't have to raise the bucket up higher than the counter. Has anyone else done this before or have a reason why I shouldn't do it?
Just make sure you leave enough tube in case you want to fill bombers or wine bottles. May want to check before you cut, might not even be worth the little bit you cut off.
Other than that, I don't see any reason why not.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #709
funnycreature
Beer Crafter, Metalhead \m/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooperBrew View Post
What an informative thread, I've spent a few hours reading it from the start

I stopped by Home Depot and bought the 3/4" pvc elbow that screws right onto my bucket nozzle, no modifications were required. I then put a small piece of tubing on the bottling wand and set the bucket on the counter, it worked out well.
Would you mind sharing the part number? The elbow piece I got from Lowe's is too long and hits the bottom of the bucket.

Thanks!

Old 05-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #710
CooperBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'll take a look when I get home. Not sure if the holes might be drilled at different heights depending on the brand of bucket as well. I'll try to measure that as well if I can.

Edit - Might try sanding the bottom of the fitting? I know that mine fit with just a tiny gap between the bottom of the bucket and the elbow. I think that tight fit helps siphon most of the liquid. I honestly thought it was too close at first but it works great.

Primary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Kegged & Drinking - White House Honey Porter, Fat Tire Clone, Deadman's Curve Black IPA, Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout

Last edited by CooperBrew; 05-07-2013 at 12:02 PM. Reason: added info

Quick Reply