Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling Tips for the Homebrewer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #661
GoCrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Very good info, I changed my bottling method to closely match the OP's and I improved bottling speed and overall there was less mess. I don't have a bottle tree or vinator so it usually took me around 2 hours to bottle a 5 gallon batch. I did it last night in 1.5 hours.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 06:29 AM   #662
tommyguner03
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 77

bottled my first batch and well i had a lot of sediment.. i let it sit for three weeks and i dry hop on week 2.. im thinking maybe it was from the dry hop .. other than that everything went well expect capping.. i may of got a default capper any suggestions on what to get to cap?

Old 02-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #663
Brewsday
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Default Cappers

I have managed to collect (accumulate?) 6. My favorite is the old guy in the back row on the right. I like the spring return and the feel when I thump down the cap. Plus it stays at the right height for the type of bottle I'm using....but it has it's dangers! (see second pic) The tall brown one is great to cork wine but the bell fell off for beer. Lots of guys favor the 2-handed winged type. Put a "want to buy" ad on your local craigslist or here in the HBT classifieds once you know exactly what you want.

By the way, nearly sliced the tip of my thumb off that day...but notice the orange wallpaper "wetting" tray in the back...one of my favorite accessories. I put about 1" of starsan in there and keep long things sanitized like spoons, canes, tubing, I even throw in bungs and bubblers and a shamwow to wipe things with...my "tip of the day".

cappers.jpg   badnews.jpg  
Everyone has to walk their own path as a brewer. Each home brewer must consider time, cost, feasibility, and results of their efforts. If a homebrewer can strike a happy balance between those 4 aspects, then they are doing it right regardless of the brewing method.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

Noone should have to defend themselves about what they want to brew or justify it to anyone... This is supposed to be about having fun. In whatever form it takes.

Don't be a troll about it.
Revvy Likes This 
Old 02-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #664
glenn514
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I have both a bench-top capper and the two-handed "Red Baron" capper. I prefer to use the Red Baron because I ruin fewer bottle caps with it. But I have been known to remove the very top portion of a beer bottle with it, as well! DOH!

glenn514

Old 02-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #665
Getzinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 15

[QUOTE=Brewsday;4916017]Plus it stays at the right height for the type of bottle I'm using....but it has it's dangers! (see second pic) /QUOTE]

Dang, did that crush a glass bottle? That's nuts.

I always use the Red Baron, myself. Haven't broken a bottle yet, but there's a first time for everything.

My spoon is TOO big.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:50 AM   #666
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I have a bench-capper that is very similar to the one at top right and a wing-capper that is identical to bottom left, except mine is red. The bench-capper has a silicon rubber mat under where you place the bottle which possibly absorbs some shock.

Definitely use the wing-capper more often and the bench-capper when I come across bottles with strange neck/lip features/dimensions such as the Wychwood Brewery bottles.

Cool. 666th reply on this thread Think I'll listen to some Iron Maiden

Old 02-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #667
Brewsday
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

The crushed bottle was one of those limited release bottles from Sam Adams...they have sort of a "pinched" area near the bottom and, as you can see, that's where the bottle gave out. I have banned them from my collection (didn't have many). I just have to believe a nice straight cylinder body has better engineering characteristics for bench capping. I've also changed my technique and hold the bottle by the neck. Seriously, I probably should have gone to the hospital...but didn't...just clean the cut, wrap it up and keep bottling. Later I went to the pharmacy for some finger cots...now there's something handy to have around for small cuts when brewing (or cooking)!

Old 02-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #668
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Oof, I don't touch the bottle while capping it. My bench capper keeps the bottle in place well enough.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:12 AM   #669
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Yeah, I'm recoiling at just the thought of holding onto a bench-capper induced imploding bottle at the moment of loss of integrity.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #670
PintOfPlain
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Hi

While I note your comment "High OG = longer time" for carbonation, and this matches with my experience, I am also wondering if bottling from primary or secondary has any effect also on the time / amount of sugar required for bottling? As there is less remaining yeast then.

From the 10 batches I have made, the 2 that took longest to carb were both strong OG (1.080+) and where the only ones I had racked to secondary.

They both took 2 months+ with 3-4 oz white table sugar for 5gallon batches.

thanks

Quick Reply