Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling Tips for the Homebrewer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 05:11 AM   #651
KevStL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGJesse
I love the idea of connecting the bottle filler directly to your spigot on your bottling bucket but are the plastic clamps necessary? Couldn't you just use a short section of hose that overlaps deep enough for a tight fit?
That's how mine is done, and it works great.

Pibbles Brewing - est. 2011

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #652
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGJesse View Post
I love the idea of connecting the bottle filler directly to your spigot on your bottling bucket but are the plastic clamps necessary? Couldn't you just use a short section of hose that overlaps deep enough for a tight fit?
it IS just a short section of hose....But YOU have to decide if you think the clamps are really necessary or not.....The thing about this hobby, is that there's multiple ways of doing things, and they're all right for the person doing them....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #653
cramar
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This is such an informative thread, I've tried reading thru much of it but it's pretty long, if this question has been answered please forgive.

I noticed that the modified dip tubes (which is an awesome idea) are very close to the bottom of the fermentor, how is this not drawing up excessive amounts of sediment?

I'm a newb with only one batch under my belt but I seem to be missing something here. Most interior dip tubes are +- 1/4 from the bottom but I had about the same volume of sediment, if not more.
Does one just siphon a bit out and then toss that first bit, and then the rest tends to come out with less sediment because the immediate area below the dip tube end has been cleared?

Help me see the light, my initial reaction was to make the dip tube 3/4 of an inch or so from the bottom, so I'm missing something.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #654
krackin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 119 Posts

They draw up a little until a small sump hole is formed but that will settle out fairly quickly in the bottling bucket. You may get a little more towards the end so watch that too. No big deal.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #655
cramar
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Great, that's what I was missing.

Thanks!

Old 01-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #656
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You also have to realize that you don't get much sediment, if you don't put much sediment in the bucket to begin with. If you use and extended primary, OR a seconday and/or cold crash to drop as much yeast out of suspension as you can, AND you rack carefully (I tell folks don't put the bottom of the autosiphon into the trub layer forcefully to begin with, in fact hold it higher up for awhile, or clip it an inch above the trub to draw ONLY the beer, the carefully lower it down and "vacuum" the beer off the top of the trub,) you won't transfer much sediment into the bottling bucket.

I have very little sediment in my bottles, just usually a thin smear of yeast/sediment from bottle conditioning.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #657
cramar
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks for the great tips, after re-reading the initial post I was missing that you were moving from primary to bottling bucket, I assumed it was bottled straight from primary.
It all makes sense now!!

Old 02-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #658
Bithead
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramar View Post
This is such an informative thread, I've tried reading thru much of it but it's pretty long, if this question has been answered please forgive.

I noticed that the modified dip tubes (which is an awesome idea) are very close to the bottom of the fermentor, how is this not drawing up excessive amounts of sediment?

I'm a newb with only one batch under my belt but I seem to be missing something here. Most interior dip tubes are +- 1/4 from the bottom but I had about the same volume of sediment, if not more.
Does one just siphon a bit out and then toss that first bit, and then the rest tends to come out with less sediment because the immediate area below the dip tube end has been cleared?

Help me see the light, my initial reaction was to make the dip tube 3/4 of an inch or so from the bottom, so I'm missing something.
My tube extends to the middle of the bucket where the center is just a tad bit higher than the edges. The end of the tube is barely off the bottom of the bucket. Think paper thin barely. I only loose a couple ounces.

"...allowing the beer to become what it is." -- Jason Yester, Trinity Brewing Co.

phug Likes This 
Old 02-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #659
Brewsday
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

+1 for Revvy "The thing about this hobby, is that there's multiple ways of doing things, and they're all right for the person doing them...."

Clear vinyl tubing works great for the little connector. Just cut it the right/minimum length to slide all the way up the tap and cover about 1.5 inches of wand.. Silicon tube is a little wimpy but can be used.

Those "last few ounces"? I bottle them, usually by pouring directly from the bucket into the only green bottle I prep. If that doesn't fill it I scrounge beer from the hydrometer tube (even if I've drank out of it) or off the top of settling trub. Heck, it's one more beer! One time I popped a hops cone in there...that beer was very drinkable...albeit a tad chunky.

Everyone has to walk their own path as a brewer. Each home brewer must consider time, cost, feasibility, and results of their efforts. If a homebrewer can strike a happy balance between those 4 aspects, then they are doing it right regardless of the brewing method.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

Noone should have to defend themselves about what they want to brew or justify it to anyone... This is supposed to be about having fun. In whatever form it takes.

Don't be a troll about it.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #660
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsday View Post
Those "last few ounces"? I bottle them, usually by pouring directly from the bucket into the only green bottle I prep. If that doesn't fill it I scrounge beer from the hydrometer tube (even if I've drank out of it) or off the top of settling trub. Heck, it's one more beer! One time I popped a hops cone in there...that beer was very drinkable...albeit a tad chunky.
Heh, to illustrate your point, I don't bother. I fill until the last bottle comes up short, then dump that and the clear beer from the bottling bucket into a glass, chill it, and drink it immediately. Nothing wasted either way, I just prefer the early preview (and I don't mind uncarbonated beer).

Quick Reply