Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling Tips for the Homebrewer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 01:41 AM   #641
moscoeb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoAPD

from the pictures it looks like you just use the elbow inside the bucket and nothing else correct? Any issues with leakage this way since you are not using the nut?
It doesn't looks like he uses the nut, I'm not sure. I couldn't screw my elbow on far enough to seal the spigot. So I had to use the nut, the put elbow on after that.
I would say if you can get a seal without the nut, but using the gasket, then go for it. Just try it out and see what works best for you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #642
Handsaw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

He got his at Ace and so did I and mine screwed on far enough with some to spare. Now your spicket may be different.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #643
moscoeb
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsaw
He got his at Ace and so did I and mine screwed on far enough with some to spare. Now your spicket may be different.
Mine came from lowes. That may be the difference. Oh well, still works great, no more tipping the bucket and it only leaves a few ounces in the bottom. Best thing you can do for under a buck!!

Old 12-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #644
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoAPD View Post
from the pictures it looks like you just use the elbow inside the bucket and nothing else correct? Any issues with leakage this way since you are not using the nut?
I did the same thing to my BB after seeing a similar post to Bronco's. There was just enough spare thread to attach the elbow, and I haven't noticed any leakage although some plumbers tape wouldn't hurt. It's really a stellar idea and works quite well.

So, as I have before I popped into this thread to share my experiences with bottling and help my buddy Revvy help others RDW and HAHB. I brewed a RIS (OG-1.097) last winter and aged it in secondary from March until Oct. I hit it with 04 at bottling time for peace of mind, and put the bottles in a closet to forget about for a few months. I tried the first bottle last night, and it's just showing signs of being carbed, but it's still not there. Patience (and Llama's wonderful graph) are the key, these high gravity brews sure take their sweet time.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #645
Bronco1500
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoAPD View Post
I replaced the nut with the elbow inside the bucket. I used 2 washers to seal against leaks. One on each side of the bucket - inside & out. If you look closely at my 2nd pic you can see them. I also used a bit of the plastic thread wrap

May the best of last year, be the worst of the next year !

Old 12-13-2012, 06:34 PM   #646
c_osbourn
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Might have already been mentioned but read about a technique on cleaning bottles referring the only thing you need to do is put them in a dish washer on high temp with NO drying solution and they are good to go?

Old 12-13-2012, 08:11 PM   #647
glenn514
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Actually, c_osbourn, there are several threads on that topic. What you actually need is the DRY cycle. The heat generated by the dishwasher during the drying portion of the entire cycle is what sanitizes the bottles. And you are correct...ABSOLUTELY NO added rinse aid or detergent to the dishwasher. Just plain old hot water.

glenn514

Old 12-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #648
c_osbourn
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for clearing that up.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #649
Brewsday
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

I;ve found that, over time, my bottles get a little "cloudy" looking. I learned to just throw about 1/2 cup of white vinegar in at the very start. One small warning, it does seem to "dissolve" the "paint" off my Rolling Rock bottles.

Everyone has to walk their own path as a brewer. Each home brewer must consider time, cost, feasibility, and results of their efforts. If a homebrewer can strike a happy balance between those 4 aspects, then they are doing it right regardless of the brewing method.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

Noone should have to defend themselves about what they want to brew or justify it to anyone... This is supposed to be about having fun. In whatever form it takes.

Don't be a troll about it.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:25 AM   #650
CGJesse
Recipes 

I love the idea of connecting the bottle filler directly to your spigot on your bottling bucket but are the plastic clamps necessary? Couldn't you just use a short section of hose that overlaps deep enough for a tight fit?

Quick Reply