New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling Tips for the Homebrewer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #611
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3456

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseean_87 View Post
I've got a quick question about the waiting 3 weeks for carb thing. I brewed a BDSA that ended up stronger than anticipate thanks to a boost in efficiency on my highest gravity brew. OG was 1.098 and fermented down to about 1.005 with 3711. I made a starter. I bottled after about a month (stable gravity), waited 3 weeks, and it was dead flat. waited another few weeks, and barely got a 'phst', but no carb detectable in the drinking, no head. After another few weeks it had just the slightest hint of residual carbonation, but no head and still tastes sweet. I've been rolling them every week or even more often, and it's been 3 months now. I made a 1.089-1.014 Imp Stout with the same yeast (3 week primary) and it was carbed after about 10 days, and pretty tasty. The only difference I remember was the use of oxygen absorbing caps on the BDSA. They seem fairly clear to the light with much smaller than usual yeast cake at the bottom of the bottles. Would the lack of oxygen not allow the yeast to reproduce in-bottle and fail to eat up the sugars? Would accidentally scorching the sugar solution make it unfermentable? I don't remember doing so, but that's the only other thing I can think of.

You're overthinking it. Basically the yeast are tired.

It's more than likely simply the fact that it's a BIG BEER. Haven't you noticed the discussions in this thread on throughout the forum about how BIG BEERS can take MONTHS to finally carb up with out a little extra yeast help at bottling time?

You haven't seen where I've in just about EVERY bottling thread I answer, the little cut and paste about how my 1.090 Belgian Strong Ale took about 6 months to carb up?

You haven't seen this pretty famous picture from one of our old members?

Even now, if you want you can uncap add fresh yeast and recap (I'd use new caps) and that will help it along.

I recommend using a medicine eye dropper with graduations on it. Rehydrate some dry yeast in warm water, and using the sanitized eye dropper and squirt a couple mls of yeast into the bottles, cap, shake and leave them for a couple more weeks.

Or wait. But yeah it's probably not because you caramlized the priming sugar (have you EVER actually done it before?) Or not enough oxygen, it's just that those puppies in there did alot to make that Big Beligan into the boozy wonder that it probably is. An just like your fat uncle Joe on Thanksgiving day after 3 helpings of turkey and all the fixings, have undone their belts, taken one look at the Pumpkin Pie, and said, "No Mas."

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #612
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseean_87 View Post
I've got a quick question about the waiting 3 weeks for carb thing. I brewed a BDSA that ended up stronger than anticipate thanks to a boost in efficiency on my highest gravity brew. OG was 1.098 and fermented down to about 1.005 with 3711. I made a starter. I bottled after about a month (stable gravity), waited 3 weeks, and it was dead flat. waited another few weeks, and barely got a 'phst', but no carb detectable in the drinking, no head. After another few weeks it had just the slightest hint of residual carbonation, but no head and still tastes sweet. I've been rolling them every week or even more often, and it's been 3 months now. I made a 1.089-1.014 Imp Stout with the same yeast (3 week primary) and it was carbed after about 10 days, and pretty tasty. The only difference I remember was the use of oxygen absorbing caps on the BDSA. They seem fairly clear to the light with much smaller than usual yeast cake at the bottom of the bottles. Would the lack of oxygen not allow the yeast to reproduce in-bottle and fail to eat up the sugars? Would accidentally scorching the sugar solution make it unfermentable? I don't remember doing so, but that's the only other thing I can think of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
You're overthinking it. Basically the yeast are tired.

It's more than likely simply the fact that it's a BIG BEER. Haven't you noticed the discussions in this thread on throughout the forum about how BIG BEERS can take MONTHS to finally carb up with out a little extra yeast help at bottling time?

You haven't seen where I've in just about EVERY bottling thread I answer, the little cut and paste about how my 1.090 Belgian Strong Ale took about 6 months to carb up?

You haven't seen this pretty famous picture from one of our old members?

Even now, if you want you can uncap add fresh yeast and recap (I'd use new caps) and that will help it along.

I recommend using a medicine eye dropper with graduations on it. Rehydrate some dry yeast in warm water, and using the sanitized eye dropper and squirt a couple mls of yeast into the bottles, cap, shake and leave them for a couple more weeks.

Or wait. But yeah it's probably not because you caramlized the priming sugar (have you EVER actually done it before?) Or not enough oxygen, it's just that those puppies in there did alot to make that Big Beligan into the boozy wonder that it probably is. An just like your fat uncle Joe on Thanksgiving day after 3 helpings of turkey and all the fixings, have undone their belts, taken one look at the Pumpkin Pie, and said, "No Mas."
Yeah, what he said. My BGSA (1.119 OG 1.019FG) took 8-9 MONTHS to carb after adding 5ML fresh yeast to each bottle. I did leave it in the fermentor for quite awhile though.

Revvy Likes This 
Old 10-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #613
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1072 Times on 781 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
Yeah, what he said. My BGSA (1.119 OG 1.019FG) took 8-9 MONTHS to carb after adding 5ML fresh yeast to each bottle. I did leave it in the fermentor for quite awhile though.
To add to this, I have a ~9.2% No. 3 Burton pale ale that's been in bottles since 8/23, it's just now carbed and is still green, it needs more time. That was with a re-pitch at bottling because I bulk aged for ~6 months. There's no real way around it, it's the yeast's job to carb and condition our beer. Sure, they'll get 'er done quick like in a low gravity session beer, 3 or so weeks, but in beers like a golden strong or an old ale, you may be talking months. Many months in the case of the poster I quoted. I think Revvy had a similar timeframe with a similar beer, no?

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #614
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
Even with fresh yeast? Wow.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #615
agenthucky
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
You haven't seen where I've in just about EVERY bottling thread I answer...
This is becoming a problem with a lot of the larger threads here. People don't read through the middle of the thread to get to answers that were brought up. I don't blame a lot of people because some threads have 100+ pages, but the additional question asked at the end adds to the length and makes it worse. Some threads need condensing or search within threads. Some people need to do the work and read. These threads are for all newbies, but they aren't for each individual newbie. Some threads have been ruined by repetitive comments and off topic comments. It makes this great educational tool harder to use and less effective.

This post probably doesn't help, but I hope it reaches a moderator and the problem can be approached

Old 10-20-2012, 12:18 AM   #616
kcbloor
Recipes 

So I'm brewing a maple wheat ale. and I've had it bottled for over 4 weeks. I tried 1 tonight and it's still not fully carbonated. any input on 2 why it's not carbonated.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:09 AM   #617
Bronco1500
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Im a visual learner. I figure others may be as well. So here is my 90 degree pvc dip tube set up. Cost $0.43 at Ace.

The before

After:

view from top

bottom of bucket inside

May the best of last year, be the worst of the next year !

People Like This 
Old 10-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #618
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Bronco, that looks almost the same as mine. Unfortunately, my spigot hole in the bucket is about a quarter inch higher up, so the elbow doesn't quite reach far enough down to effectively dip the last bottle or so. Next time around, I'm going to buy a bucket without a hole and put my own hole in it, I think.

Where did you get the spigot with the hose barb?

Old 10-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #619
Revvy

Recipes 

I like that spigot too.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #620
Bronco1500
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

The spigot came with the bucket. Got them from my lhbs - more beer. It is available online at this link for $2.95
http://morebeer.com/view_product/16592/102304/Spigot_For_Bucket

Zeg. You could always cut a small piece of pvc pipe to lower the elbow that last 1/4" that you need. That was what I was going to do. I may still do it, It will depend on how it performs.

May the best of last year, be the worst of the next year !

Quick Reply