Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling Tips for the Homebrewer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #591
zeg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjjpkiser1 View Post
Nonsense. If you're using the 3/4 cup of corn sugar for carbonation, your beer will carbonate. (And no you dont need 3 weeks). At most two weeks but typically 10 days is sufficient. The two questions I have are, how many days do you give yourself between when your initial fermentation is finished (over 2:30-3 minutes per bubble from your airlock) and when you bottle? Do you move to a secondary and how long is it there?

Based on your explanation and FG's, it sounds like perhaps your yeast is pooping out even before it can start carbonating your bottles.
This happens when your beer sits too long in primary or secondary.
I don't buy much of this at all. You are correct, based on my own and that of the senior guys around here, that in almost all cases the beer will carbonate. However, I have personally experienced moderate gravity beers taking 3 weeks or more to fully carbonate. They're "carbonated" sooner than this, but they become better and more consistently (bottle-to-bottle) carbonated after a longer period.

Air lock bubbling is not useful for judging completion of fermentation. Maybe for getting past the major active fermentation, but it's not going to tell you whether you're completely fermented or not.

As for the yeast pooping out, "too long in primary or secondary" would generally mean a very, very long time. Months and months.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:16 AM   #592
jeffjjpkiser1
Recipes 

I would say bottle do mature over time for certain types if beers (stouts, barley wines, manic if course) come to mind.

Yes, you have to be quick with recapping after re-priming. The same is true with injecting them with new hydrated yeast.

Sorry but I disagree with your airlock comment. I have found that yeast that is still fermenting and kicking up a bubble every 2:30-3:00 minutes in primary is perfect for moving to secondary. That can last from a few days to weeks if anything else is being steeped in it (chips, etc). I do agree that yeast can go on for a long time but it can also poop out if the initial fermentation was very heavy and worked hard.

Have fun brewing!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 12:32 AM   #593
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
I would say bottle do mature over time for certain types if beers (stouts, barley wines, manic if course) come to mind.

Yes, you have to be quick with recapping after re-priming. The same is true with injecting them with new hydrated yeast.

Sorry but I disagree with your airlock comment. I have found that yeast that is still fermenting and kicking up a bubble every 2:30-3:00 minutes in primary is perfect for moving to secondary. That can last from a few days to weeks if anything else is being steeped in it (chips, etc). I do agree that yeast can go on for a long time but it can also poop out if the initial fermentation was very heavy and worked hard.

Have fun brewing!!
Your answers about just about everything are outdated and just plain contrary to about every good brewing practice there is. Maybe you need to actually read some of the information on here, or listen to some current podcasts to learn the latest information...about things like how airlock bubbling is a crappy way of determining rates of fermentation, because anything including the vacuum cleaner running ca affect airlock bubbling. Or how moving to secondary is rarely done these days for normal beers....How carbonation and bottle conditioning works...how you rarely if ever need to re-prime...all you need is patience. How beers can indeed take weeks if not months to carb....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-08-2012, 01:07 AM   #594
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Nonsense. If you're using the 3/4 cup of corn sugar for carbonation, your beer will carbonate. (And no you dont need 3 weeks). At most two weeks but typically 10 days is sufficient. The two questions I have are, how many days do you give yourself between when your initial fermentation is finished (over 2:30-3 minutes per bubble from your airlock) and when you bottle? Do you move to a secondary and how long is it there?

Based on your explanation and FG's, it sounds like perhaps your yeast is pooping out even before it can start carbonating your bottles.
This happens when your beer sits too long in primary or secondary.

It could also be your capping system. Do you get a firm seal once they're clamped down? I use the oxygen green caps which work well.

If for some reason it is the yeast. Do the following;
Get some dry Nottingham, rehydrate it, use a plastic syringe, open all your bottle, and hit them all with a little bit if yeast. Nottingham will not give you any off flavors and the priming sugar should still be there if nothing carbonated. I recently did this with a Oktoberfest beer were the yeast pooped out but it's normal for lagers so it was part of the process and it worked beautifully.

Good luck
La Fronde

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Last edited by NordeastBrewer77; 10-10-2012 at 07:46 AM. Reason: cleaning Revvy's sticky

Old 10-09-2012, 02:44 AM   #595
jeffjjpkiser1
Recipes 

So you know what a carboy airlock is right? You know that bubbles come up right? When fermentation slows down the bubbles slow down right? Do I have you at this point? The slow down tends to line up perfectly with the typical fermentation slow down or typical primary fermentation for particular styles. If you hit a certain gravity and you're tracking the temperature daily, and you know the typical attenuation for that beer/yeast strain then you can determine when the primary will finish. Based on this and the yeast still being active then your carbonation should not take that long. The 3-4 weeks would only apply to certain styles such as the ones that I mention. A recent "Brew" magazine article essentially said you only need at most 10-14 days for carbonation. Yes, you can mature them longer but will not change the carbonation.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:46 AM   #596
jeffjjpkiser1
Recipes 

And the "I disagree on most of what you shared above. " yeah, that seems to be your trend without providing any valuable experience

Old 10-09-2012, 07:57 AM   #597
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa

Recipes 

"c'mon man!"

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by NordeastBrewer77; 10-10-2012 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Cleaning Revvy's sticky

Old 10-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #598
Frodo
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Post removed, off topic and disrespectful to this thread. My apologies.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #599
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Yeah, the dude only has +5,000 posts, I bet most of them has been straight out of his ass. edit: that's sarcasm by the way, did they teach that at UC Davis? I only got my BS at University of Montana, so I'm not sure they were so particular.
Actually, about 2/3s of my posts are straight out of my arse....

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by NordeastBrewer77; 10-10-2012 at 07:47 AM. Reason: cleaning Revvy's sticky

Old 10-09-2012, 08:36 AM   #600
Frodo
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quick Reply