Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling Tips for the Homebrewer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012, 02:43 AM   #511
corn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by owentp
My spigot is approx. 1" from bottom of the bucket. Even with my attempts using dip tubes and having the bottle filling wand, which is long, it has a slower drain and it stops with about and inch of fluid in the bucket. I have an acutally bottling bucket with pre-drilled hole.
just an idea: you may not have a tight seal between your diptube connection and the spiggot. once the fluid level gets to the leak, you lose the siphon effect.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #512
jcotner45
Recipes 

Just a quick question. I have a batch of Irish Red Ale that has been bottled for a little over 3 weeks now and its not really getting any more carbonated. My question is: should I roll the bottles to get the yeast up and active from the bottom or what?

"I'd rather be brewing!"

Old 02-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #513
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcotner45 View Post
Just a quick question. I have a batch of Irish Red Ale that has been bottled for a little over 3 weeks now and its not really getting any more carbonated. My question is: should I roll the bottles to get the yeast up and active from the bottom or what?
You don't really have to, you can if you want, but really you just need to give it more time. As I've said repeatedly the 3 weeks at 70 is just a minimum....and a rule of thumb anyway.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-13-2012, 01:15 AM   #514
RubiconMatt
Recipes 

There is a ton of great info in this thread. I will be going over it the next few days, thanks for posting!!

Old 02-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #515
luvinit
Recipes 

Default thanks revvy

I followed your bottling method with the wand on the bucket and the copper pipe inside the bucket,WOW you knocked at least an hour off my bottling time,the only question is with the wand bottomed out in bottle cant really fill all the way the wand takes up space,should still be ok no? this works fantastic takes all the hassle out of bottling

Old 02-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #516
PortlandPatrick
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvinit View Post
I followed your bottling method with the wand on the bucket and the copper pipe inside the bucket,WOW you knocked at least an hour off my bottling time,the only question is with the wand bottomed out in bottle cant really fill all the way the wand takes up space,should still be ok no? this works fantastic takes all the hassle out of bottling
Since you do want a little headspace, it's a convenient bonus of the mechanics of bottling with a wand - the displacement from the wand equals just the right amount*.

* Of course, someone out there disagrees with it being "just the right amount" of headspace, but I think it would be safe to say that the vast vast vast vast majority of people (basically, everybody but that one naysayer) who bottles would agree.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #517
jdubb75
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortlandPatrick View Post
Since you do want a little headspace, it's a convenient bonus of the mechanics of bottling with a wand - the displacement from the wand equals just the right amount*.

* Of course, someone out there disagrees with it being "just the right amount" of headspace, but I think it would be safe to say that the vast vast vast vast majority of people (basically, everybody but that one naysayer) who bottles would agree.
I usually let the volume of the wand create headspace in my 12oz bottles, but if I'm filling 22's I'll pull it about an inch from from the top. That combined with the displacemnt of the wand seems to create headspace more in accordance with what I see from commercial craft beers.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #518
PortlandPatrick
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubb75 View Post
I usually let the volume of the wand create headspace in my 12oz bottles, but if I'm filling 22's I'll pull it about an inch from from the top. That combined with the displacemnt of the wand seems to create headspace more in accordance with what I see from commercial craft beers.
Good point. I should have mentioned that I was referring to 12oz bottles. I eyeball it with bombers.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #519
coolharry
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just have to add my thanks here for everyone's tips!
I got my first batch bottled up on Sunday and it was a lot of fun. I used the PVC elbow trick and i worked like a charm!
thanks again everyone, this site and all its users are awesome!

Old 02-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #520
MaltMonster
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubb75 View Post
With my setup, the displacement of the wand creates too much headspace in 12oz bottles. So I end up adding a little more volume by pressing the inside of the bottle neck against the wand tip (or vise versa) to release a little more beer.

Next up: Pale Ale
Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Moose Drool Clone, Black Ale

Quick Reply