Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling Tips for the Homebrewer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2011, 09:31 PM   #401
phull
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hey everyone, I'm sorry if this was already discussed, I have been searching and I have found lots of information but I just can't seem to wrap my head around what to do. I am new to brewing and have recently decided to try a cider. I plan for it to be a still cider and I was wondering if it could be bottled into a half gallon milk jug seeing as I am not carbonating. I have read the many threads about the permeability of this plastic; however, I just wanted to check and see what the negative effects of such a bottling choice would be. Thanks for all the help, the forum has helped me since I started brewing!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2011, 10:02 PM   #402
agodfrey11
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by phull View Post
Hey everyone, I'm sorry if this was already discussed, I have been searching and I have found lots of information but I just can't seem to wrap my head around what to do. I am new to brewing and have recently decided to try a cider. I plan for it to be a still cider and I was wondering if it could be bottled into a half gallon milk jug seeing as I am not carbonating. I have read the many threads about the permeability of this plastic; however, I just wanted to check and see what the negative effects of such a bottling choice would be. Thanks for all the help, the forum has helped me since I started brewing!

I wouldn't because of the length of time it would be viable. I would think it would go bad pretty quickly. I would get a capper, bottles, and caps. That way you can keep some long term and see how the flavors change. And if you plan to do more batches the capper is a very small investment.
On Deck: Rye IPA, Jamil's British Bitter, Jamil's 60 Shilling

Old 02-24-2011, 12:23 AM   #403
AugustDerleth
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by imreallycrazy View Post
Pull your bottling valve from your bucket and take it with you to the plumbing department so you get both the right size and right thread pattern.
I almost added, but then didn't, in my initial post that I specifically did not want to take the faucet in to the store, because the hole I drilled made an extremely snug fit when placing the valve into the bucket. I felt pretty certain that it would widen the hole to pull it back out, then put it back in.

For those who have the typical valves from LHBS, the size 3/4" PVC elbow is the appropriate fit. It took a couple minutes to align it properly with the threads, but it fits snugly and works like a charm. Note that if you use these elbows, you should buy one first, before drilling your hole and placing the valve in order to be able to tell how far off the bottom of your bucket the elbow reaches and placing your valve accordingly. If you make your dip tube out of cane, it's not an issue. Good luck!
Bottled: Edwort's Apfelwein, S.O.F. Ale, D.C.O.S., AAA2, AAA3, OSS, SS211, DPDB, Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale, Arachnid Brown Ale, Oktoberfeast, Apple Cider1, Apple Cider2, AAA1

SWIBA: (She Who Is Bad Ass) bought me a 6gal Better Bottle! Excellent.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:27 AM   #404
agodfrey11
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustDerleth View Post
I almost added, but then didn't, in my initial post that I specifically did not want to take the faucet in to the store, because the hole I drilled made an extremely snug fit when placing the valve into the bucket. I felt pretty certain that it would widen the hole to pull it back out, then put it back in.

For those who have the typical valves from LHBS, the size 3/4" PVC elbow is the appropriate fit. It took a couple minutes to align it properly with the threads, but it fits snugly and works like a charm. Note that if you use these elbows, you should buy one first, before drilling your hole and placing the valve in order to be able to tell how far off the bottom of your bucket the elbow reaches and placing your valve accordingly. If you make your dip tube out of cane, it's not an issue. Good luck!
I was able to cut my part of pvc elbow with my dremel with no problem to make it fit. It now has maybe a couple of mm of space between it and the bottom when it is installed. I also want to note that i remove my spigot and elbow after each time I bottle to make sure everything gets clean. I find it easier to clean it that way.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:42 AM   #405
AugustDerleth
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by agodfrey11 View Post
I was able to cut my part of pvc elbow with my dremel with no problem to make it fit. It now has maybe a couple of mm of space between it and the bottom when it is installed. I also want to note that i remove my spigot and elbow after each time I bottle to make sure everything gets clean. I find it easier to clean it that way.
My elbow was actually too short, not too long. This is why I suggested buying it first and using its natural spacing from the bottom of the bucket as a way to decide where to place the valve.

Ah. I do not remove it, and instead clean the bucket and sanitize it as normal with no problems. To each his own.
Bottled: Edwort's Apfelwein, S.O.F. Ale, D.C.O.S., AAA2, AAA3, OSS, SS211, DPDB, Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale, Arachnid Brown Ale, Oktoberfeast, Apple Cider1, Apple Cider2, AAA1

SWIBA: (She Who Is Bad Ass) bought me a 6gal Better Bottle! Excellent.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:54 AM   #406
phull
Recipes 

Quote:
I wouldn't because of the length of time it would be viable. I would think it would go bad pretty quickly. I would get a capper, bottles, and caps. That way you can keep some long term and see how the flavors change. And if you plan to do more batches the capper is a very small investment.
Wouldn't I run into the same problem with a growler since the lid is not always airtight? I have a capper that I use for my beer I just thought I would bottle in larger amounts so that I could give them away or for larger groups.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:05 AM   #407
agodfrey11
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phull View Post
Wouldn't I run into the same problem with a growler since the lid is not always airtight? I have a capper that I use for my beer I just thought I would bottle in larger amounts so that I could give them away or for larger groups.
I would imagine that a sealed growler would last longer than a milk jug, but it would still not last as long as sealed bottles. I would not want to try a milk jug because I wouldn't want to have to throw out something I worked so long for, just because I wanted to save time at bottling.

That being said, try it out and let us know how it goes. I could be completely wrong. That is the great thing about this hobby. Trying new things that may be the "wrong way to do it" and seeing what happens.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:26 AM   #408
phull
Recipes 

Quote:
That being said, try it out and let us know how it goes. I could be completely wrong. That is the great thing about this hobby. Trying new things that may be the "wrong way to do it" and seeing what happens.
I think I will try several methods: a milk jug, perrier screw top pint sized glass water bottles, and sealed fruit jars

Old 02-26-2011, 07:23 AM   #409
BloodSweatandBeers
Recipes 

Default Dip tube

Thanks Revvy and everyone else who has added to this great thread. The dip-tube was the biggest "why didn't I think of that" in here. I just made mine out of a copper elbow from the hardware store and I've been able to get all but a little more than 2oz out of my bucket. Thanks for this simple but effective idea.

Here is a photo of the tube

https://picasaweb.google.com/1047534...07621239710546

Old 02-27-2011, 05:48 PM   #410
ZooKeeper
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by knappster View Post
I just got an elbow that was 3/4" threaded on one side and 1/2" smooth on the other. It seems like it might fit ok when the nut is screwed on first without doing any trimming. I'll see how it flows with a quick test run tomorrow.
I use the same & works great. It is a much cleaner design than the stopper, it's cheap & I only leave 6 oz in the bottom.

Here is my setup -

I move the Vinator in front of the stove with the caps in it & work right to left (I'm a lefty too), cap & put into cases for storage. I also use the Colonna Capper now, which is great.

Quick Reply