Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling Tips for the Homebrewer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2009, 09:32 PM   #191
RunBikeBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenmusic View Post
A small word of warning on that: RUST.
Yes! I had the same experience with my first water bath. (It didn't affect the beer, though.) Now I keep my water level around the shoulder of a 12oz bottle. I also add a splash of bleach to keep things April-fresh.

One slight difficulty is getting the darn bottles to stand up straight. They tend to want to float just a bit (or at least be more bouyant than when in air). Couple that with my rubbermaid tub, which does not have a flat bottom, and I have to simultaneously try to align/balance fifty beers. This is very amusing to anyone watching.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 03:08 PM   #192
MisterGreen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Then the boxes go into a dark warm closet and I forget them for the next 3 weeks, trusting that they will be approaching drinkability and an adequate carbonation level by then.[/b]
Revvy, you store your bottles in a "warm" closet? I always thought they were supposed to be kept somewhat cool.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:35 PM   #193
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGreen View Post
Revvy, you store your bottles in a "warm" closet? I always thought they were supposed to be kept somewhat cool.
That's only when you are drinking them, if you want the yeast to work for you they have to ber above 70.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

MisterGreen Likes This 
Old 10-15-2009, 03:41 PM   #194
MisterGreen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
That's only when you are drinking them, if you want the yeast to work for you they have to ber above 70.
See, that's why I come here. Thanks!

Old 10-15-2009, 03:48 PM   #195
-TH-
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunBikeBrew View Post
I added Revvy's dip tube and it works great, with one added trick:

With the dip tube, I get a little pocket of air at top-dead-center of my spigot body. I have to rotate the spigot and bottling wand up and depress the filler valve to get the little air pocket out, then rotate it back down for bottling. Not a huge deal, but the first time I bottled with the dip tube, I kept getting bubbles. The dip tube works great, though.
THANK YOU FOR THIS TIP!!! I have been using the dip tube (90° pvc elbow) for many batches now and I always got an air pocket like you mentioned that created some bubbles. I saw your post and tried it last weekend and it worked wonderfully - no more bubbles!

Old 10-20-2009, 02:31 PM   #196
bernerbrau
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Revvy speaks the truth. Listen to the preacher-man.

I always pop a couple bottles early. Truth be told I allow them plenty of conditioning time before bottling so they're never terribly green at this point and thus drinkable, but even at two weeks they're always, always, always flat. Tiny hiss when you open them, a little bit of foam on top, couple of promising champagney bubbles inside the beer, but overall disappointingly carbonated. The earliest I've seen even minimal "real beer" carbonation is 19 days.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:10 PM   #197
greeneyed
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

In preparation for my first time bottling, I have read alot of info.
This thread has invaluable.
Looking at the spigot, without purging, it is inevitable to have an air pocket.
The liquid flows through a small oval opening in the bottom most part of the spigot.
Without purging this somehow, there will be an air pocket.

Thanks Revvy for these tips, as I am sure I am more prepared to bottle now.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:41 PM   #198
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Any recommendation for a target bottling temperature? Mostly I ask as I have an Oktoberfest sitting at about 34 degrees in my fermentation cabinet atm. As this is my first lager I thought I would ask. All previous batches have been bottled at around 70 F.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:45 PM   #199
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickHead View Post
Any recommendation for a target bottling temperature? Mostly I ask as I have an Oktoberfest sitting at about 34 degrees in my fermentation cabinet atm. As this is my first lager I thought I would ask. All previous batches have been bottled at around 70 F.
You mean temp to carbonate you bottles at?

Whether it's an ale or a lager the same rules for carbonation apply. You can't get much carbonation until the beer spends a minimum 3 weeks @ 70 degrees.

However you choose to lager or is irrelevant to getting carbonation. You can make ales, you can lager, you can cold crash your ale, you can secondary, not secondary, long primary, but come bottling day all that really doesn't matter too much to the rules regarding carbonation. The beer sitting their waiting for priming sugar is all the same.

They may affect bottle conditioning but you still need warm temps to get carbonation happening.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-21-2009, 02:50 PM   #200
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
You mean temp to carbonate you bottles at?
No, I mean the temp of the beer at the time of bottling when the priming solution is introduced. Would you, for example, let a lager warm up to roughly room temperature prior to introducing the priming solution and bottling? Or does it really matter? I realize yeast activity will not begin until the yeasties are happy with the temp of the medium.

Quick Reply