New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling Tips for the Homebrewer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 04:17 PM   #11
avaserfi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

I tried to browse some online HBS for a dip tube, but am not finding anything. I'm guessing I am just missing it, but could someone point me in the right direction?

Andrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2008, 04:21 PM   #12
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I have never seen a pre-built one. This DIY project takes all of 5 minutes tho...

Old 12-28-2008, 04:25 PM   #13
avaserfi
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
I have never seen a pre-built one. This DIY project takes all of 5 minutes tho...
I saw your walk through and don't have a spare racking cane, I figured if I am going to buy something I might as well buy what I need. Guess I will be making it though.

Thanks!

Andrew

Old 12-28-2008, 04:55 PM   #14
andyb0527
Recipes 

great thread! I usually keg but I still plan on bottling certain brews that I want to hang on to longer than a couple of weeks. I like the idea of the dip tube and the bottling wand right on the end of the spigot.
Thanks

Old 12-28-2008, 05:00 PM   #15
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb0527 View Post
great thread! I usually keg but I still plan on bottling certain brews that I want to hang on to longer than a couple of weeks. I like the idea of the dip tube and the bottling wand right on the end of the spigot.
Thanks
+1 on a great thread! If you keg though, check out we no need no stinking beer gun and bmbf alteration

Old 12-28-2008, 06:36 PM   #16
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts

Fantastic write-up, Revvy!

I'll echo that the bottling process needn't be tedious and inordinately frustrating once you adapt the process to your conditions (as is so much regarding brewing).

While I do keg the majority of my beers (I have the space in the basement), I bottle any beer that requires a long aging time- RIS, barleywine, dubbels, tripels, etc. While I do enjoy a tripel quite often, it's not something I want on tap!

Old 12-28-2008, 06:38 PM   #17
climateboy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Hey, Revvy, great thread. I have a question that might as well go here. I bottled a De Konnick clone two weeks ago using my standard procedure--3/4 cups corn sugar to 2 cups water. I haven't gotten around yet to carbonating to style, but I've been happy with the results so far. I add the solution to the bucket before racking in, etc, etc.

Within the first week, I got a bottle bomb, but just one. FG was 1.014, so I wasn't worried...I figured a bum bottle. The rest have been fine and stable.

But I opened my first one two days ago...exactly two weeks after bottling. And it was...well, not flat, but not carbonated nearly enough. Is this something that can be rectified with time, or should I start thinking about another remedy?

Thanks,

CB

"Mas vale bolo famoso que alcoholico anonimo."

Join DC Homebrewers

"Fermentation Without Representation"
(C)

Old 12-28-2008, 06:50 PM   #18
Hikeon3
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
I have one tip for bottlers... buy some kegs.
I have another tip: Buy kegs that are already rebuilt/sanitized. Maybe even new.

I bought 4 soda cornies and 4 rebuild kits. After multiple soaks in oxy clean/iodine solution/boiling water, those kegs are still ruining batch after batch of my beer.

So I might be one of the only homebrewers with 4 rebuilt cornies in his garage who now doubts ever actually moving to kegging.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:01 PM   #19
TerapinChef

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Another good idea for a bottling dip tube (and one that I know Revvy knows about) is if you should happen to have broken a racking cane at some point, you can use the straight piece. This is an easy way to bend plastic. Use a tea kettle. Put the plastic over the tiny hole that the steam whistles through and apply gentle pressure. After a minute or two, it should begin to bend quite easily. I fashioned this little guy in this manner.

One thing that i have had a bit of a problem with since beginning to use this method is that there seems to be a bit more air running through my line/bottling wand. I think this is caused by a pocket between the rubber stopper holding the dip tube and the actual drain in the bottling bucket spigot. Anyone else notice this problem?

Great job Revvy!

See My Profile for Current Brews

My 3/4 Ton Brewstand "Build"

The Belgian Lady Brewery

Old 12-28-2008, 07:23 PM   #20
nowise
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I love the idea for the bottle tags! Too often I have to sit and explain what things are (apfelwein for example) when I bring them to gatherings.

Quick Reply