Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling Tips for the Homebrewer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2009, 08:58 PM   #141
cyberbackpacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Here's my components for my dip tube and what it looks like assembled:

-Kevin
cyberbackpacker

Trinke Das Bier Das Du Gebraut Hast

shanek17 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2009, 02:28 AM   #142
knappster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I just got an elbow that was 3/4" threaded on one side and 1/2" smooth on the other. It seems like it might fit ok when the nut is screwed on first without doing any trimming. I'll see how it flows with a quick test run tomorrow.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:56 AM   #143
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Cyberbackpacker, thanks for posting your elbow version!!!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-25-2009, 12:11 PM   #144
CATFISHER74
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Do you glue that or just push it together when you need it?

I wish it were winter so we could freeze it into ice blocks and skate on it and melt it in the spring time and drink it!

Old 04-25-2009, 12:31 PM   #145
cyberbackpacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Revvy, glad to contribute!

Catfisher, the elbow is just a push fit; just push it on when needed. It makes cleaning/sanitizing worry free.

-Kevin
cyberbackpacker

Trinke Das Bier Das Du Gebraut Hast

Old 04-25-2009, 01:38 PM   #146
TerapinChef

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I hate to be that guy, but as I feel I've contributed to this thread I thought I should update everyone.

I've converted to the BMBF.

Sorry, another one has gone to the other side.
Mind you, I don't actually serve any beer out of my kegs, I don't have room for that. I just fill em up, carbonate them, then put it right into a bottle.

See My Profile for Current Brews

My 3/4 Ton Brewstand "Build"

The Belgian Lady Brewery

Old 04-27-2009, 04:03 AM   #147
knappster
Recipes 

My first bottling went pretty smoothly today, thanks for all of the tips Revvy. Just for the record, my dip tube was a PVC elbow 3/4" threaded on one side and 1/2" slip on the other and it seemed to perform well. I was using the bottling Ale Pail. The only small problem I had is that the bottling wand would occasionally get stuck spraying beer, but it could have been a lot worse. Now comes the hard part.... waiting for weeks to drink it

Old 04-27-2009, 01:23 PM   #148
CATFISHER74
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knappster View Post
My first bottling went pretty smoothly today, thanks for all of the tips Revvy. Just for the record, my dip tube was a PVC elbow 3/4" threaded on one side and 1/2" slip on the other and it seemed to perform well. I was using the bottling Ale Pail. The only small problem I had is that the bottling wand would occasionally get stuck spraying beer, but it could have been a lot worse. Now comes the hard part.... waiting for weeks to drink it
I just did my first Saturday and had the same problem with the wand.

I wish it were winter so we could freeze it into ice blocks and skate on it and melt it in the spring time and drink it!

Old 04-27-2009, 02:35 PM   #149
-TH-
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATFISHER74 View Post
I just did my first Saturday and had the same problem with the wand.
If yours is like mine then its the kind that doesn't have a spring in it, instead it relys on the force of the beer coming down the wand to close the valve. And of course the closer the wand is to the bucket the less pressure is created by the beer. But I've gotten carefull not to knock the tip of the wand off center when pulling the bottle down and out and I can do it now with very little malfunctions (I'd still rather have the spring type though).

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet
Water Spreadsheet: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

Old 04-27-2009, 03:00 PM   #150
knappster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TH- View Post
If yours is like mine then its the kind that doesn't have a spring in it, instead it relys on the force of the beer coming down the wand to close the valve. And of course the closer the wand is to the bucket the less pressure is created by the beer. But I've gotten carefull not to knock the tip of the wand off center when pulling the bottle down and out and I can do it now with very little malfunctions (I'd still rather have the spring type though).
That definitely describes mine. I figured it was just going into the corner of the bottle too much and catching kind of awkwardly.

I did a trial run with water the day before and it worked okay but the bottling wand seemed to drip a lot. When I ran it with the beer there was very little dripping, just this problem I mentioned earlier. I'll have to check at Friar Tuck's for the spring loaded ones next time I am there. However, I guess the spring will probably get corroded and cause problems down the road...

Quick Reply