Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling Tips for the Homebrewer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2009, 07:22 PM   #121
SumnerH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerapinChef View Post
It's a 2. On two different bucket taps I've tried. 2 also fits a beer bottle nicely.
I just built one, a #2 worked perfectly and the dip tube picked up nearly every drop of liquid in that bucket. Very nice, thanks for the thread Revvy and friends!

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2009, 07:30 PM   #122
Daddymem
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Just got done bottling an EPA today and I wanted to thank Revvy and all on the tips in here. I used many of them and the task went by smoother and faster than ever.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:13 PM   #123
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I have a dip tube in my bucket so I get all but about 4 ounces of stuff from my bottling bucket. What that means in my case is about another 6 pack of beer- 54 bottles instead of 48.

And the biggest thing about a dip tube is that there is no need to tilt to get the last few dregs of beer. It is easy to make, all you need to do is find a drilled stopper (or drill your own) that fits in the back part of your bottling bucket spigot (I got mine from my lhbs) then you need to find a tube that fits on the hole...It could be a piece of bent copper tubing, it could be the body of a ballpoint pen, it could even be a bent piece of racking cane.

I finally got around to making one of these. I don't bottle much, but today I wanted to split my batch of Irish Red between bottles and a 3 gallon keg, the latter to take to a friend's party.

This was made from a drilled stopper and the crook of a racking cane that I haven't used in over a year. (The straight part will become a BMBF.) The bend is over 90 degrees, so I just cut the bottom to be parallel to the bottom of the bucket. There is less than 1/8" gap, so I should be able to drain virtually everything.

We'll see how she works this afternoon.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:02 PM   #124
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Looks cool Blindlemon!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-22-2009, 05:52 AM   #125
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Looks cool Blindlemon!!!
I also attached the bottling wand right to the spigot with a 1" piece of tubing, as you demonstrated. Easiest bottling session yet!

Not as easy as kegging, but pretty painless. There was about 4oz of beer left in the bottling bucket!

Old 03-24-2009, 09:02 PM   #126
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Very useful thread.....I'll probably whip up a "Revvy patent dip tube" out of the abundance of wine corks lying around. The new plastic variety ought to serve. Kegging isn't for everyone, and for an abundance of reasons. In my case, I like very much to have 6 or 7 varieties of beer on hand, ready to drink. If I throw over bottling, that means I have to buy not only 6 or 7 kegs, but all the associated hardware, such as refrigeration, the gas equipment, draft faucets (or whateverinell they're called), and then I have to maintain that stuff. This is not going into the space & storage issues. While I do plan to move to all-grain later this year, I really enjoy the simplicity and flexibility that fermenting in plastic buckets, secondary in carboys, and bottling in 12 oz. longnecks gives me. There's also something very satisfying about "low-tech," of course I'm the guy who still uses his grandfather's rusty old Prohibition-era bench capper.....

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #127
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico567 View Post
If I throw over bottling, that means I have to buy not only 6 or 7 kegs, but all the associated hardware, such as refrigeration, the gas equipment, draft faucets (or whateverinell they're called), and then I have to maintain that stuff.
And that's a problem, because.....???

Old 03-24-2009, 10:06 PM   #128
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars View Post
And that's a problem, because.....???
I'm still a little leery about going to kegging. Part of it is portability--it's nice to grab a six-pack or two and go without planning ahead to do the bottle from a keg deal. Part of it is style concerns--worries about bottle-conditioning my big Belgians, or hefe yeast settling out too much.

And then part of it is because I don't understand the carbing mechanism well. I typically have a lot of styles going on at once, so I don't want to have everything carbed to the same level (my hefe or BDSAs are going to be a lot more carbed than my IPAs or pilseners which are going to be more carbed than my milds and bitters).

Does that mean I'm looking at separate regulators for every carb level (or 2 carb levels if I use a dual regulator)? Or can I carb to one level and basically rely on the same serving carb to keep differently carbed beers all moving okay at one level?

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 04-11-2009, 07:05 PM   #129
stevesbeer
Recipes 

Thanks for the tips....I have patience and will wait until it is REALLY ready! I did have the temps around 67 degrees. Will increasing to 70-72 hurt it?

Old 04-13-2009, 03:45 AM   #130
Reinheitsgebot
Recipes 

Thanks to all the outstanding info on here, I am not as worried about my first bottling session. Probably Thursday if I don't have to work.....

Quick Reply