Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling Tips for the Homebrewer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2009, 12:15 PM   #111
TerapinChef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just try to lay my tubing in the bucket so that the flow creates a whirlpool effect. It also has the benefit (if you don't move it much) of creating a trub cone in the middle of your bottling bucket where it's easy to leave that stuff behind.

See My Profile for Current Brews

My 3/4 Ton Brewstand "Build"

The Belgian Lady Brewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2009, 08:22 PM   #112
mnadamn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

One thing I have found to be useful is take a price gun like what you would see at a store and I assign each brew a number. The brew log gets a sticker, the carboy gets one in ferment, and each bottle gets one. This is a fast, easy way to label. In beer smith each brew I do starts with this number in as my assistant brewer allowing me to find them easily in the program.

Another thing I generally do while bottling is bottle 1 beer in a clear bottle and lable it with the brew log (scaled to fit). This allows me to check the color of the beer as well as be used as a quick referance instead of using beersmith.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:03 PM   #113
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Best thing I ever learned about bottling was to recruit my girlfriend to cap the bottles after I fill them. Cut my time in half! "Save the hassle. Bottle with a friend."

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 03-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #114
nfrisa1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Revvy,

how did you cut (or did you use another method) your racking cane, mine is plastic?

Old 03-09-2009, 06:07 PM   #115
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfrisa1 View Post
Revvy,

how did you cut (or did you use another method) your racking cane, mine is plastic?
I just used a hacksaw.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Brad_Boston Likes This 
Old 03-10-2009, 01:59 AM   #116
JoeCap09
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I came across this thread a couple weeks ago and when I was at Lowe's last weekend I saw the pvc pipe section and thought, what if I throw a pvc elbow on the threaded end of the spigot instead of the nut? So, I bought a 3/4" pvc elbow threaded on one end and slip on, on the other end. It fits snug to the bottom of the bucket but it has just enough space to start a siphon. I haven't bottled a batch with it yet but I tried it with water and it seems like it will work. Not sure if this has been thrown out as an idea yet but I figured I'd throw it out there.

Thanks for all the other tips! I used all of them when bottling my second batch and it made everything more simple.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:55 AM   #117
Modix
Recipes 

I was curious if anyone had an estimate of the stopper size for the dip tube? I don't have a store nearby, and have to order online.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:06 AM   #118
TerapinChef

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's a 2. On two different bucket taps I've tried. 2 also fits a beer bottle nicely.

See My Profile for Current Brews

My 3/4 Ton Brewstand "Build"

The Belgian Lady Brewery

Old 03-15-2009, 10:01 PM   #119
karmabrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the bottling tips Revvy! Bottling is still a pain, but not as much so. I've still got some more dialing in for the bottling process to do.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:26 PM   #120
njnear76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbeerpig View Post
This is my current bottling setup. I use a short-walled "bussing bin" that I got from a restaurant supply store (About $5.00). It will hold 35 bottles at a time, keeps them from falling over, catches any overflow/spillage, and allows for quick transfer back to the counter for capping. I set it on the ground, below my bucket, and then grab a chair, and start filling the bottles one at a time, row by row. I can easily see which bottles have already been filled, and where the fill line is while bottling.

I put the bucket on the kitchen counter, and I currently use my auto-siphon for bottling, rather than the spigot (That is soon to change - don't worry!) Once I get the siphon going (with a little help from SWMBO) I can easily fill the bottles, which are loaded into the bussing bin on the floor. I pull up a chair, and go to town! Bottling is relatively quick this way.

Cool idea.

Quick Reply