Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling Tips for the Homebrewer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2009, 11:28 PM   #91
Thumper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just wanted to give a shout out of thanks to Revvy. I had been using these tips except for the dip stick mod. I did that today before bottling. Works fantastic! Much easier than tipping the bucket, and hardly no beer loss. Thanks!!

Chisholm Trail Brewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 11:13 PM   #92
coeceo
Recipes 

Default Had to add

Here's my set-up, havent made the spigot yet but will before the next batch..

I use an old water bottle for a bucket, it is a pain, but it was $5.

I have a gravity bottle spigot hooked up with a short piece of tubing, this allows me to flex it and fill the bottles at a bit of an angle to reduce foaming/airation, etc.

Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Bottled: empty

Old 02-18-2009, 11:27 PM   #93
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by coeceo View Post
Here's my set-up, havent made the spigot yet but will before the next batch..

I use an old water bottle for a bucket, it is a pain, but it was $5.
What don't you like about the water bottle? It seems like it would be a great cheap alternative...One thing I might do (and I've seen it in bars who use them as ice buckets) would be to punch a couple holes and put a handle on it...

Thanks for sharing!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-19-2009, 02:16 AM   #94
Sandberglar
Recipes 

So I lost my tube that you actually fill the bottles with and I already added the priming sugar to the beer, what should I do? What will happen if I bottle the beer tomorrow? Will I need to add more priming sugar?

Old 02-19-2009, 02:25 AM   #95
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandberglar View Post
So I lost my tube that you actually fill the bottles with and I already added the priming sugar to the beer, what should I do? What will happen if I bottle the beer tomorrow? Will I need to add more priming sugar?
Do you still have the bottling hose???

If so I would sanitize it, and (preferably if you have help) carefully bottle by sticking the hose all the way down into the bottle, opening the spigot, filling slowly till it starts to overspill. Then turn off the spigot, and remove the bottle...

Unless you have something you can rig as a spring clamp to open and close the hose easier than using the spigot..

But once you add the priming sugar the process has sort of already begun, and you should see it through in one sitting...

Just next time make sure you have all your parts laid out before you add the priming sugar.

Good luck.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-19-2009, 02:40 AM   #96
Sandberglar
Recipes 

I'll try that, I was just going to use the spigot, but I'll try the hose first. Thanks!

Another question in regards to sanitizing, my bottles are soaking in W.A.Y. single step no rinse sanitizer, do I really just dump the water w/ the sanitizer out of the bottle and fill them with beer? I don't have to rinse or dry them?

Old 02-24-2009, 04:14 AM   #97
android
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

thanks a bunch for this thread Revvy. it made my first bottling day go great. a little running around making sure everything was in place, but i suppose that's to be expected. i used the wand-to-spigot, trimmed 90 deg elbow from lowes that threads on, bottles dishwasher sanitized, filling over the dishwasher door method. it worked like a charm.

i've got 49 bottles trying to seduce me right now.

also racked my second brew, a dunkelweizen, to the secondary i freed up. it actually tasted quite nice (i had to sample the FG sample beer) and had a great hefe smell to it.

anyway, thanks a bunch for all the suggestions!

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 02-24-2009, 11:21 AM   #98
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by android View Post
thanks a bunch for this thread Revvy. it made my first bottling day go great. a little running around making sure everything was in place, but i suppose that's to be expected. i used the wand-to-spigot, trimmed 90 deg elbow from lowes that threads on, bottles dishwasher sanitized, filling over the dishwasher door method. it worked like a charm.

i've got 49 bottles trying to seduce me right now.

also racked my second brew, a dunkelweizen, to the secondary i freed up. it actually tasted quite nice (i had to sample the FG sample beer) and had a great hefe smell to it.

anyway, thanks a bunch for all the suggestions!
Glad you found the info in here helpful!!!!

Old 02-24-2009, 02:45 PM   #99
android
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

quick question, i had some green bottles from a czech pilsner, staropramen, and while i got the caps on OK, i wasn't 100% sure of the seal. it was almost like there wasn't enough for the capper to hold onto while pressing the cap. anyway, has anyone else had this problem with green pils bottles?

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 02-24-2009, 08:13 PM   #100
bluehouse
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This is a great thread lots of good tips. I have one thing I do that makes it easy to identify my beer. I keep a beer log with all details on each beer. I number the beers, when I bottle I just write the number with a sharpie on the cap. Later if I am taking to a party or serving to others at my home, I might make a label based on the info in my log. If HWMBC wants a drink & can't identify the contents we can look at the number on the cap & in my brew log & identify the details. This way we label only when we need to our number system is simple.

Quick Reply