Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling tips?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2007, 07:04 PM   #11
c.n.budz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

definitely get someone to do the capping for you. Personally I prefer priming w/ light dme but if you use dextrose it's fine, just don't use table sugar...

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2007, 08:26 PM   #12
fezzman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Here's how I do it.

I load the bottom rack of my dishwasher with washed bottles. I don't need to count the bottles. Regardless of bottle size, as long as I get the rack as full as I can it always seems to work out to enough bottles for a 5 gallon batch. I then run it on a high temp cycle the night before I plan to bottle. This gives the bottles plenty of time to cool off. As long as you don't open the dishwasher in advance, everything inside is sterilized from the heat.

I then add the priming mix to my bucket, siphon my beer into the bucket, and place that bucket on the counter above the dishwasher. I sit on a small stool with my bottle wand and fill bottles. I'll pull them out of the dishwasher as I need them...this way there aren't a bunch of empty bottles to knock over/risk contamination.

My buddy (who is usually all buzzy from the brews) stands on the other side of the dishwasher and caps the bottles as I fill them.

This method works like a champ and any spillage is trapped on the dishwasher door for easy cleanup. I've also done both bottling and filling using this method. I'll bottle enough to fill the door up, cap those bottles, then fill another round.

hope this helps

Old 06-28-2007, 09:12 PM   #13
JustDave

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That's a great tip Fezz, thanks!

I'm going to be bottling for the first time in a few weeks, so I'll definitely keep your tips in mind.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:31 PM   #14
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

hey one more question for you all.
I was thinking of putting some kind of filter on my racking cane when I rack it to the bottling bucket. Tink of a last filtering. If I do this what should I use and should I even do it. It's a wheat beer so I know it's going to be a little foggy but I don't really want any floaties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Old 06-29-2007, 10:56 PM   #15
jdoiv

Recipes 

Just be careful when you rack into your bottling bucket and you shouldn't have any floaties. You could also let the bucket sit for 20-30 minutes before you start bottling so any sediment you picked up in racking will drop to the bottom. Most buckets have a little space below the spigot so you always have a little waste.

Fermenting:
Planning:

Quick Reply