Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling from taps - BMBF alteration

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2008, 04:35 AM   #1
nostalgia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Bottling from taps - BMBF alteration

Happy Thanksgiving, HBT'ers. I'm sure you're familiar with the BierMuncher Bottle Filler by now. I've been using it for the last few months and it always works a treat.

Today I wanted to bring a growler to Thanksgiving dinner at my brother's house. The keg I wanted was (of course) in the back of the fridge. As you can see it's no small task to get access to the rear kegs. There's also not a whole lot of room above the kegs to maneuver my arms.

It would have required a lot of time moving kegs, disconnecting lines, making a bloody mess in the fridge. My cobra tap was also already connected to my Apfelwein keg.

So I got all MacGuyver on the BMBF. I unscrewed the nozzle from the Perlick attached to that keg and forced a 5/16" line in. It was a *very* tight fit. Here's what it looked like:

Then it was just a matter of threading the nozzle back on and turning on the tap. With the growler it was very convenient to hold the stopper in place with my thumb and have my forefinger in the handle.

I'm going to see if I can purchase a plastic nozzle or two to dedicate to the task. I really like not having to disconnect any lines nor trot out my cobra tap.

-Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2008, 04:53 AM   #2
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

HA!
That's EXACTLY what I did to fill the growler I took to the outlaws!

GMTA!

Old 11-28-2008, 05:04 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Is it really necessary to go through all that with the hose? It just occurred to me that most brewpubs I frequent fill their growlers straight from the tap. No special hoses required...

Remember oxydation takes a couple months to develop in beer...and growlers are usually consumed within 2 days of purchase..

Not that I don't think it's a cool DIY idea...but isn't really an unnecessary thing to deal with to fill a growler for a party? I can see how it would be great for bottles tha tmay not be consu,ed right away...but a growler?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-28-2008, 05:07 AM   #4
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Nutten's too good for my beer!
6 hours, 6 days, or 6 months, I want it to have the best chance possible

Old 11-28-2008, 05:11 AM   #5
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

I went through the same thought process, Revvy. But I came to the conclusion that this is very little extra work, and it reduces carbonation loss and oxidation from splashing. And like BK, since the beer has my name on it, I want it to be the best I can make it in the bottle. So there it is

-Joe

Old 11-28-2008, 06:30 AM   #6
giligson
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I agree that filling like this from the bottom of the bottle with a stopper that allows you to hold pressure to about 10 psi (I run this at 10 psi) makes for much better carbonation.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:07 AM   #7
noremorse1
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Is it really necessary to go through all that with the hose? It just occurred to me that most brewpubs I frequent fill their growlers straight from the tap. No special hoses required...
Most of the ones around here have a piece of plastic tubing that fits over the tap and just touches the bottom of the growler. This minimizes foam, thus decreasing fill time, as well as helping to purge out some of the o2. There is no rubber stopper acting as a counter-pressure valve but, the growlers I have had filled seem to last a few days with minimal co2 loss.

Next Up - Beer
Primary - T.H.E (The Hell Em) Session Pale Ale
Secondary -
Kegged - Heart of Darkness Cascadian Dark Ale
Bottled - American IIPA, English IIPA

Old 11-28-2008, 02:53 PM   #8
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

BigKahuna/nostalgia- Did you still lower the PSI for this? Because I know my local brew pub also goes straight from the tap to the growler, without lowering PSI.

I just ordered a picnic tap with my ingredient order the other day from nothernbrewer to make my BMBF- I think I still might use this method so Beer isn't going through 10FT line through tower and perlick (clean them regularly, but still).

All regards to Biermuncher, I think you should post this on his sticky thread as an alternative method.

Old 11-28-2008, 02:56 PM   #9
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRoToRiUm View Post
BigKahuna/nostalgia- Did you still lower the PSI for this?
If I am going from the tap...that already has 10" of hose, No I don't. If I am using a 3' Picnic Tap, YEA, I drop it to 2 - 3 # Just depends on weather I'm filling an "in Service" keg or a "in Waiting" keg.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:48 PM   #10
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks BK (and Nostalgia)! Time to sanitize some Grolsch bottles...

Quick Reply