Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > bottling sux

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
bluedragoon85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default bottling sux

I really dislike bottling and I think it is time to start saving up for a kegging system. I am down to my 3rd batch and it hasn't gotten any better. I guess I'm just not good at it because I make a big mess and the bottle filler just doesn't work 100% of the time and starts squirting. I'm thinking about getting a bench capper instead of using the two handed bottle capper. I seem to have trouble capping with the two handed one and I think a bench capper would make the whole process less overwhelming. This is just a rant because I dislike bottling so hopefully in the near future I will have a kegging system to look forward two

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2008, 04:36 PM   #2
Vels
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Kegging is tops

Bench capper and a good racking cane with autovalve is a must when bottling.

Cheers
Jakob

Old 02-20-2008, 04:40 PM   #3
bluedragoon85
Recipes 

I will definitely look into the the racking cane with autovalve. I really hate having beer squirted all over the place =/ I will also save up for kegging, but as of now I just want to make the bottling procedure a little less unbearable. btw, do you happen to have a link for a racking cane with autovalve?

Last edited by bluedragoon85; 02-20-2008 at 04:44 PM.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:34 PM   #4
Vels
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thinking of it it would be a "bottling" and not "racking" cane you need.

Here is a close up of the bottom end with the valve - beer will only flow when pressed againt bottom af bottle.

I think every HBS have these

Cheers
Jakob

Old 02-20-2008, 07:50 PM   #5
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Yup thier called bottling wands....put one on about 2" of hose and attach it to your bottling bucket's spigot and your good to go.

I recently got fed up with bottling and built one of these....it rocks

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=55666

Old 02-20-2008, 11:19 PM   #6
bluedragoon85
Recipes 

Quote:
Thinking of it it would be a "bottling" and not "racking" cane you need.

Here is a close up of the bottom end with the valve - beer will only flow when pressed against the bottom of bottle.
Yeah, I got a bottling wand and it really sux. It doesn't work how it is supposed to. Sometimes it works and other times it just keeps squirting even though the end of it isn't touching any surface. This right here is what I got: http://northernbrewer.com/pics/fullsize/GenBFiller.jpg

I just got through seen this kind of bottling wand and it seems it would work better: http://northernbrewer.com/pics/fulls...ringFiller.jpg What do you think? It uses a spring so it doesn't depend on gravity to shut, so it looks more reliable.

I plan on getting this from Austin Home Brew Supply. It shows no picture, but it mentions that it has a spring, so I'm guessing it is about the same as the one I posted.

Last edited by bluedragoon85; 02-20-2008 at 11:23 PM.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:24 PM   #7
Pugilist
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I use a bottling bucket with a spigot and a bottling wand. MUCH easier than the old fashioned way, but I still get some air into the bottles from the wand it seems.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:27 PM   #8
bluedragoon85
Recipes 

Quote:
I use a bottling bucket with a spigot and a bottling wand. MUCH easier than the old fashioned way, but I still get some air into the bottles from the wand it seems.
What kind of wand do you use? the one that uses a spring or the one that relies on gravity to shut?

Old 02-20-2008, 11:34 PM   #9
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I still like to bottle my beer even though I force carbonate in a keg. For my bottle conditioned stuff I use the above described bottling bucket with a spring actuated bottling wand attached with a 2" hose. Just push the bottle up into the wand until the bottle is filled. Also table top cappers are the way to go. I have something like the Super Agata and love it. When I bottle out of my keg I use a BeerGun and I love that to.

Some people just prefer to have their beer on tap though.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:42 PM   #10
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

What I tend to do is keg my session beer, and only bottle the good stuff I want to keep around a while.

Bottling sucks. Bottling with a leaky wand sucks more. Cleaning bottles sucks the most. I find a quirky pleasure in capping.

Quick Reply